Fing Desktop showing 2 different mac addresses for router/network...........Correct??

pbdennis36pbdennis36 Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
On the home screen of my fing desktop, where is analyzes the system, It shows the home network with a BSSID of 1 number, and yet the router (gateway) is the same number, yet one digit is different than the BSSID.  I don't have a complicated set up....Router is supplied by cable company, and I run ethernet to my PC.  We have a couple smart TV's and phones, but thats it.  The last 2 numbers of the BSSID is 20, yet the Route mac address is 27.   I found this odd, and thought they would be the same....Am I correct, or am i not understanding something?     
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks   Paul 
Tagged:

Answers

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 135
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    "Fing Desktop showing 2 different mac addresses for router/network...........Correct??" Yes, it is correct. And, as you stated, "I don't have a complicated set up", it's your router that makes it seem so, as your router is a bit more "complicated", on the inside. Typically, a "dual band" router will have 4 MAC addresses - one for the WAN (Internet) side/port, one for the LAN side (router/gateway), one for the 2.5GHz (wifi) band, and the last for the 5GHz (wifi) band. If you enable the "guest network", your router may create a VLAN, with a "virtual" MAC.
  • pbdennis36pbdennis36 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you so much!  I appreciate it.  Has been bugging me for weeks.   There is also a mac address sometimes shows up, that is 2 with all zeros.  I assume then that this is also one from the router.  Thanks again!