Two devices grouped under one only, but different MACs

mickymixmickymix Member Posts: 9
5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
Dear all,
I have a FingBox on my office network and recently I installed one TPLink Travel Router (MR-3040 in Client Mode) to have an isolated device with cable connections only be reachable on my network.
They both have a different IP and MAC address, but for somewhat reason, I only see one device with two IPs on my network, as follows:
> 192.168.10.170 - MAC: xx:xx:xx:E5:67:A4 - Remote Device in DHCP with Assigned IP on DHCP Server
> 192.168.10.183 - MAC: xx:xx:xx:80:16:42 - TP Link Travel Router in DHCP with Assigned IP on DHCP Server
The DHCP Server is available on the network but on another device, and the Remote Device is connected with cable to the Travel Router, which connects to our Office WiFi Router.
For somewhat reason I only have the Remote Device in Fing devices list, with two IPs assigned ( -.170 and -.183)

How can I have them to be splitted ?
Why does Fing groups them, which seems a "non-sense" to me ???

EDIT: what seems also far too strange is the fact that the main device appearing in the list is not the Travel Router, which could act as a "forwarder", but the device itself (both IP and MAC !!!), which looks like having a "slave" device under it (and in reality it is the opposite...).  :/

Answers

• JCAlexandresJCAlexandres Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic
    A device may have more than one network interface, maybe wired interface and wireless, both connected to the network will be the reason the device has to MAC addresses.
  • mickymixmickymix Member Posts: 9
    A device may have more than one network interface, maybe wired interface and wireless, both connected to the network will be the reason the device has to MAC addresses.
    The problem here is somewhat different: there are TWO SEPARATE DEVICES appearing under ONE SINGLE DEVICE with TWO IPs...
    Which should not (or there might be some other aspects which I cannot catch at the moment... ).
    But, thanks anyway for your suggestion.
    10 Comments Photogenic

Check DNS, the reverse DNS zone can cause also issues like this. Do you have a DHCP server in the network ?

• mickymixmickymix Member Posts: 9
    Dear @JCAlexandres while I can understand your answer, I don't know exactly how to perform your suggestions.
    I have a DHCP server in the network and all my devices have classical 8.8.8.8 DNS (either as fixed IP or by DHCP...).
    What should I check exactly ?
    To better explain my first message: the REMOTE DEVICE is connected with its only network port to the TRAVEL ROUTER, which is connected as a "client" to the main WiFi network (I don't know if this is already clear or not...).
     :/ 
    10 Comments Photogenic
    If you have a DNS server in the network, there look for duplication of IP addresses, also in the Reverse DNS zone if there is one.