Why does Fing Desktop 2.0 no longer produce anything when I try to get a report?

Joe_ChristyJoe_Christy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
Since I upgraded to Fing Desktop 2.0 on my MacBook Pro Mid 2014, running MacOS 10.5.15, I can no longer get even the most rudimentary information. (see screenshots)
clicking "See full report" yields this
 It worked fine on every previous version of Fing Desktop Fing Desktop 2.0. I've tried rebooting my Mac, re-installing Fing Desktop 2.0, all to no avail. The only thing that changed was updating to Fing Desktop 2.0.  Similarly, trying to use any of the tools just show me a pulsing blue dot.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Everything happens not at all or at the same time

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Joe_Christy
    fingagent is part of the Fing Desktop. There are notifications if fingagent not respond e.g. page “Fing Service not found”.
    The fingagent is a launch daemon and it is configured in the launchd an operating system service management daemon created by Apple Inc. as part of macOS.
    Upon checking the service, I was trying to identify the fingagent is working or not. The commands did not perform any troubleshooting. After you rebooted the device, the fingagent got refreshed as well and Fing Desktop started working.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Joe_Christy

Thank you for your post. To address the blank screen, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 

• Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Joe_ChristyJoe_Christy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Thanks, @Robin, I had no inkling that there was such a process as fingagent.
    Curiously enough, when I opened my Mac this AM, Fing Desktop was blank save for two circling blue dots, so I quit Fing Desktop and then ran the commands out of curiosity:
    pulaski(tmp) /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 
    pulaski(tmp) sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN
    Password:
    COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    fingagent 98899 root   21u  IPv4 0x157bf9af9f02dec5      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

Next, when I restarted Fing Desktop, it said that it needed privileged access to install it's network component, which I granted, at which point Fing Desktop began functioning and re-running the commands yielded:

pulaski(tmp) /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

pulaski(tmp) sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

fingagent 57302 root   20u  IPv4 0x157bf9af8f334b05      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

So, is fingagent some sort of daemon? Is launching fingagent, what the notification is referring to when it mentions installing a network component?

Does fingagent have a watchdog process associated with it? Could a future rev of Fing Desktop give a notification when fingagent dies? or Fing Desktop <=> fingagent comunication fails?

I'd really like to know what caused the problem and what solved it, since earlier quit/restart cycles w/ FingDesktop had no effect.

• Joe_ChristyJoe_Christy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Thanks @Robin. I appreciate the clarity of your response. With the complexity of modern OS's and networks, there are so many problems/bugs that are only intermittently reproducible, so we never know definitively what caused them. This was apparently one of them. I blame my aging laptop hardware or cosmic rays ;).
    Robin