Can an attempt to jam my wifi be detected?

LyndaLynda Member Posts: 1

I think my wifi was jammed in order to disable my Ring cameras. Will this app let me know if there is an attempt to jam my wifi?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Lynda....  The app will not specifically tell you if the device is being jammed.  A Fingbox along with the mobile app can tell you if a device is offline.  You could also use the Fing Desktop with a premium subscription to monitor devices and alert if they go offline.  

Maybe some other community members can suggest another way with perhaps another app?  @rooted. @kltaylor. @Pixelpopper any suggestions?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

The easiest way I know to detect a deauth attack is with an esp8266 running Wi-PWN or DeauthDetector.

@Robin Is it possible for Fingbox to detect deauth?

Marc
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Lynda ... I’m not sure if Fing can detect Jamming (deauthorisation attacks) but there are a number of free & paid software tools that can.
    The following article https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/detect-script-kiddie-wi-fi-jamming-with-wireshark-0186138/ describes some of them. There may also be other problems on your network, if you provide more details on the problems you’re having we may be able to help further.
    Marc
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,388
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    rooted said:

The easiest way I know to detect a deauth attack is with an esp8266 running Wi-PWN or DeauthDetector.

@Robin Is it possible for Fingbox to detect deauth?

Yes, Fingbox does detect the De-auth attacks. In order to avoid false alarms, there are minimum thresholds to raise an alarm:
    - the minimum duration of attack: 10 seconds
    - minimum deauth packets per second: 30/sec
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    MarcBetaFinger
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭

So to answer his question, the app alone WONT detect it. The fingbox would need to be on the network.