Unable to block chrome cast

om4eom4e Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Chrome cast ignores Pi-hole DNS, and doesn’t get blocked by Fing. I might have to take extreme measures just to be able to examine their communications.

My question is it possible for Fing to block chrome cars?

Thoughts

Could future Fingboxes be a man in the middle with Pi-hole (dns,dhcp,ddns)? Ideally like Wireshark and fiddler! It would make privacy so much easier!

Best Answer

• kjalgerkjalger Member Posts: 9
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    It's also worth noting that various Google, Apple, and Amazon devices will completely ignore the locally allocated DNS settings and use their own instead - unless you can intercept the DNS requests with local routing rules.

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3
    Fingbox shouldn't have any issue blocking a chromecast, I just blocked my Google Home as a test and it worked fine and essentially they are very similar devices.

Do you have IPv6 disabled on your network?

https://test-ipv6.com
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @om4e
    Unfortunately, Chromebooks and Chromecast create a Virtual Network that isolates the device from exploring the real network and if they are present in the current network. That is the reason if you try to block/pause them, then the Fing app cant performs due to the creation of a virtual network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
    ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know that, learn something new everyday.

Robin
  • om4eom4e Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Separate virtual network probably uses static macs still, and virtual networks (Chromecasts) still have to be able to communicate to the internet. Next iteration should be man in the middle, or go balls to the wall and Advanced Tomato integration. I’d pay for a router/VPN client(s)/Fing/pihole (and AP and switch would be better separate)!

FingBox is great in its design, however since Fing is going subscription route has put me off in considering supporting FB2 if it were to come out.

✭✭✭✭

Fing Desktop has features that are premium, the original free version functions exactly the same as it always has since released and hasn't been crippled in any way.

Fingbox is not subscription based.