FING app doesn't remember devices Android or IOS

SparksSparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 76
10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
edited July 2 in Fing App
My iPhone and Apple Watch are shown as new devices every day (more than once per day) and want to be managed.  I have tried saving as favorite and other things. Any ideas?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Sparks said:
    My iPhone and Apple Watch are shown as new devices every day (more than once per day) and want to be managed.  I have tried saving as favorite and other things. Any ideas?
    Are you using ios14? We are currently facing some issue with ios14 as it is new and we are testing it to make it work with our App. It might take some time to fully test before releasing it for users.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • SparksSparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 76
    ✭✭
    Yes, I am but I have FING also installed on a Fire HD, but I don't think it is the Beta. I am still having a problem with it not remembering those two devices.
  • Bill_Fing_erBill_Fing_er Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Does your FING app remember other devices?
    I have been using the FING app on my iPhone since 2018 and I luv its capabilities! But one thing I have never gotten used to is the number of times that I have repeatedly had to customize ALL the names of the (26+) devices (iOS and otherwise) on my home network. But I was able to look past that for the other fine qualities.
    I was always curious about the absence of a desktop version of FING other than a DOS-y version that reminded me of the 1980's (yes, before some of you were born, I know).
    Now along comes the new FING (windows-y) Desktop 2.0! Oh joy! Thank you, FING! I installed it right away and customized all my device names and identified my network as having a Home "context"..... I like the look and feel. No longer hampered by Apple from showing the MAC addresses!!! So many additional factoids! Great app!
    But......the next time I used the "desktop" app, all my customizations were gone. My context was forgotten/unknown. It identified devices as having been "seen" for the first time at that point - two days ater they were actually first "seen" and customized!! - Oh, no - here we go again.
    Tips anyone? What am I missing?
    Do the (iPhone & destop) apps have to keep running at all times? If so, does that mean that the desktop version has to be run on a desktop that stays on all the time, rather than on a laptop that comes and goes?
    Can I backup the customization information so that I can reload it next time the customizations are forgotten? Or, more helpfully, can FING be trained to remember the customizations? 
    Help!?!
    ✭✭
    It is only two devices that I am having trouble with, my iPhone XS Max and my Apple Watch series 3. Three times a day is the least amount of times I have to allow them into the network. 
    @Sparks,
    Maybe someone knows why this is happening to us and can help, us both.
    ✭✭
    Well I hope so, maybe a new version will be released soon.
    admin
    @Sparks,
    Maybe someone knows why this is happening to us and can help, us both.
    Fing does not support iOS14 yet at this version of iOS as it was made available to developers just a couple of days ago. We did try to run Fing on iOS14 using the latest version of Xcode BETA and it works perfectly, so I assume that the crashes are related to the fact that the version of Fing you are trying to install on your device was build for iOS 13 tops. Another possibility is that due to the fact that it's a BETA for developers only, some things may be missing or very unstable (from our tests it was pretty stable actually, compared with iOS 13 which was a total mess).

In addition, due to Apple policies, we cannot release a version of Fing compatible with iOS14 on the App Store before that version of iOS is released to the public (which should around September 2020).
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭
    This problem Robin is not only with IOS. 14 as Bill I think is not using it.
    @Robin and @Sparks Sparks is correct, I am using Windows 10 to run FING on my laptop and on my Desktop.  However the problem has also occured on my iPhone version of FING since well before iOS 14.
    @Robin Still looking for help with disappearing customized device names using marvelous new Fing dektop on Windows 10 and FIng for iOS on iPhone using iOS 13. Anyone?
  • davidlusskindavidlusskin Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Can I get a TestFlight version of Fing for iOS 14 beta? Both my telephone and my iPad are running 14 and I cannot access my Fing box.
    ✭✭

I also would love a Beta when available.

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 840
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Sparks, in order to retain all the networks and device customizations saved, please make sure you are signed in to Fing App.

Also, ensure you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic). I hope this helps, thanks.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    I posted this query in response to someone looking for help in an iOS/Android setting and my query appears to have gotten lost under that heading, so I'm posting it here again to see if it gains some attention.
    I have been using the FING app on my iPhone since 2018 and I luv its capabilities! But one thing I have never gotten used to is the number of times that I have repeatedly had to customize ALL the names of the (26+) devices  on my home network. But I was able to look past that for the other fine qualities.
    I was always curious about the absence of a desktop version of FING other than a DOS-y version that reminded me of the 1980's.
    Now along comes the new FING (Windows-y) Desktop 2.0! Oh joy! Thank you, FING! I installed it right away, logged into my account, customized all my device names and identified my network as having a Home "context"..... I like the look and feel. No longer hampered by Apple from showing the MAC addresses!!! So many additional factoids! Great app!
    But......the next time I (logged in &) used the "desktop" app, all my customizations were gone. My context was forgotten/unknown. It identified devices as having been "seen" for the first time at that point - two days ater they were actually first "seen" and customized!! - Oh, no - here we go again. All "Generic" all the time...
    Tips anyone? What am I missing?
    Do the (iPhone & destop) apps have to keep running at all times in order to remember the customizations? (The desktop app appears to be running in the background on  already.)
    If so, does that mean that the desktop version has to be run on a desktop that stays on all the time, rather than on a laptop that comes and goes?
    Can I backup the customization information so that I can reload it next time the customizations are forgotten? 
    Or, more helpfully, can FING be trained to remember the customizations? 
    ✭✭
    OK first off I have all permission's setup on the Fire HD.  I can't use IOS as I am on BETA 14 which FING crashes on. When I recognize a device on my iMac it should stay, but it doesn't. Is there something FING needs on the iMac?
  • davidlusskindavidlusskin Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    In addition, due to Apple policies, we cannot release a version of Fing compatible with iOS14 on the App Store before that version of iOS is released to the public (which should around September 2020).
    What policy prevents you from releasing a compatible version? The very purpose of having public betas is to allow the developers to get compatible versions ready and test them in larger environments.
    admin
    @Robin Still looking for help with disappearing customized device names using marvelous new Fing dektop on Windows 10 and FIng for iOS on iPhone using iOS 13. Anyone?
    Can you confirm if you are selecting the FIng desktop network from mobile app or ios identified network? Also, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and Click on the Fingbox/Network name from the top.

2) Go to "Network" tab and click on "Edit" near the MAP icon

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address etc.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

5) Click "Save"

Please log out of the application and then log in again. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    admin
    Sparks said:
    OK first off I have all permission's setup on the Fire HD.  I can't use IOS as I am on BETA 14 which FING crashes on. When I recognize a device on my iMac it should stay, but it doesn't. Is there something FING needs on the iMac?
    we have identified the issue, we are working on a solution but the bug is not due to the Fing app, but Apple changed something on iOS that is letting Fing to crash. We need to understand if they did these things on purpose or it’s a bug which they are going to fix shortly. If it is the latter we just need to wait. It happened already with iOS 13 as well
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    ✭✭

OK thanks, could you please notify us when fixed? Thanks.

• fingdevfingdev Member, Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 9
    First Answer Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 15
    Hi,
    Since there is some confusion here I'll try to give some explanation. iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and WatchOS 7 introduced the Private MAC Address feature. This feature, when activated on a specific network (it's ON by default on iOS 14 BETA 2) will not publish the device real MAC address on the network, but will instead use a randomized one (same thing that happens on Android 10 by default). The major problem with iOS 14 is that accordingly with the information disclosed by Apple as of today, this randomized MAC address will keep rotating quite often to make device tracking very difficult (If the MAC address changes, then the device is recognized as new). For the moment, you can disable this feature for your device so that your Fingbox/FingDesktop/FingApp will correctly identify your devices. Obviously this is a solution only for your owned devices.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
    Robin
    ✭✭
    OK thanks, I have turned it off on my iPhone and hopefully that will work with the Wi-Fi on my watch.
    fingdev