EXCITING NEWS, FING DESKTOP 2.0 IS HERE…

13»

Comments

• KEMKEM KansasMember, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic

I realized I never posted back that after installing winpcap myself Fing Desktop started working for me finally. Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. It seems like this should be considered a bug in the Fing Desktop installer.

• KEM
    Ciaran
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Please bring Fing Desktop to the enterprise level, being able to scan subnets at the WAN level would be awesome! Thanks you for the great work, keep up with it!
    But would you be willing to pay enterprise level prices for such functionality?
    Seems folks want more bang for free, but programming takes time and costs money.  If Fing decided to have the "personal" (free) and "enterprise" (paid) versions, would you be willing to buy it, one time or subscription based?
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:

Folks, please don’t confuse Fings desktop application with the mobile app from the Fingbox’s angle.

The Fingbox does not use nor interact with the desktop. The desktop cannot manage or get data from it. It only interacts with the mobile app. These are different product offerings as far as Fing is concerned.

And this is probably the #1 reason I DON'T use the desktop app.  Now if I were to log in with my credentials and be able to do on the desktop app and have all the mobie app information sync, then I'd probably use it.  Heck, I may even PAY for it.
    CommanderBKayJaydynvor
  • CommanderBCommanderB Member Posts: 4
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Comment

Lee_Bo said:
    Marc said:

Folks, please don’t confuse Fings desktop application with the mobile app from the Fingbox’s angle.

The Fingbox does not use nor interact with the desktop. The desktop cannot manage or get data from it. It only interacts with the mobile app. These are different product offerings as far as Fing is concerned.

And this is probably the #1 reason I DON'T use the desktop app.  Now if I were to log in with my credentials and be able to do on the desktop app and have all the mobie app information sync, then I'd probably use it.  Heck, I may even PAY for it.
    Yup. I was one of the ones slow to figure out the Desktop and iOS apps had no relationship. Once I did the desktop app was immedaitly uninstalled. It only confuses things.
    Give us the power to mange a Fingbox from the desktop and thats a useful app

dynvor
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,799
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee_Bo said:
    Marc said:

@Lee_Bo, thats the holy grail as far as I'm concerned.  Having one eco-system of application that behave similarly.  Stand alone they can scan a network, troubleshoot etc, and with a Fingbox they can do even more.  I kind of hope its a direction they are going but hard to tell.  They have performed some steady/useful iterations on the desktop product so perhaps they are waiting till they have more parity with the mobile app before they can bring this all together?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    KayJay
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    Lee_Bo said:
    Marc said:

@Lee_Bo, thats the holy grail as far as I'm concerned.  Having one eco-system of application that behave similarly.  Stand alone they can scan a network, troubleshoot etc, and with a Fingbox they can do even more.  I kind of hope its a direction they are going but hard to tell.  They have performed some steady/useful iterations on the desktop product so perhaps they are waiting till they have more parity with the mobile app before they can bring this all together?
    Would be great if they end up going that route.  
  • bbeesleybbeesley Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Fing 2.1.0 on MacOS....I'm now missing the Connectivity tab.   was it removed in this release
    លាប
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Lee_Bo @Marc I couldn't agree more.  I would love it (and would even pay for it) if the desktop app somehow was able to tie into my Fingbox/mobile app so that I had only one list of devices to worry about managing, etc.  The desktop app has come a really long way in a short period of time.  What is that they say?  "So close, yet so far"?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the roadmap is to merge the offerings into one system.  Also, does anyone know if there's a Fingbox v3 in the works?  I'm still on my V1 and it's not super easy to get a V2 here in Canada, so I'm thinking of waiting to see if there's a v3 in the works.
    RickT49
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @bbeesley , please refresh my memory, what did the connectivity tab do?  Its possible they renamed it or its a part of premium??

bbeesley said:
    Fing 2.1.0 on MacOS....I'm now missing the Connectivity tab.   was it removed in this release

• bbeesleybbeesley Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Several things but the most notable that I used was the scan for devices to get a list of devices on my lan.   It still says that functionality is part of the free version (see https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose)
     but there doesn't appear to be a way to access it since the tab is missing 
    Marc said:
    @bbeesley , please refresh my memory, what did the connectivity tab do?  Its possible they renamed it or its a part of premium??

bbeesley said:

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bbeesley said:
    Several things but the most notable that I used was the scan for devices to get a list of devices on my lan.   It still says that functionality is part of the free version (see https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose)
     but there doesn't appear to be a way to access it since the tab is missing 
    Marc said:

bbeesley said:

You can find your device and the ability to scan here...

✭✭✭
    I got a Fingbox early on the ability to:
    1-get an inventory of all the devices on my network
    2-get notified when a device goes offline or comes online
    3-be able to block new devices automatically

Unfortunately, some of today's networking gear offer these same features, which means I'm not really sure how much longer I'll be using FIng.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you @Lee_Bo. For me at least, Fings ability to accurately identify a device and its stable of features like digital fence have kept me on the side of actively using it.  Having older kids and knowing when someone leaves and comes home, especially late at night, has lots of value for me.
    My networking gear, Linksys Velop Mesh system, provide very little in accurate identification, tracking and management of devices.

But, I suppose everyones use case is unique.
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    My networking gear, Linksys Velop Mesh system, provide very little in accurate identification, tracking and management of devices.

All Ubiquiti here. Yes, for a home network it may be a little overkill, but I use it at work (in the office and at customer locations) and I know what it does and how it performs.
    Marc
  • transistotransisto Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited September 18

https://i.imgur.com/infNqhe.png
    Haven't even created an account yet and the process use 1.8gb ram and used significant amount of CPU (see up top)
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    transisto said:

https://i.imgur.com/infNqhe.png
    Haven't even created an account yet and the process use 1.8gb ram and used significant amount of CPU (see up top)
    Under Fing desktop settings you can disable the "Hardware acceleration" option which will resolve your issue. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc