EXCITING NEWS, FING DESKTOP 2.0 IS HERE…

Comments

• Lou_Thed46Lou_Thed46 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Marc said:

Folks, please don’t confuse Fings desktop application with the mobile app from the Fingbox’s angle.

The Fingbox does not use nor interact with the desktop. The desktop cannot manage or get data from it. It only interacts with the mobile app. These are different product offerings as far as Fing is concerned.

All current Mobile app with Fingbox features continue to work as before and as @Robin mentioned, no functionality has been removed.

I hope this helps clear things up.

This is more disappointing news to read that the desktop application can not get data. And we have to depend on a mobile app. I am in the over 70 year age range, eyesight makes it difficult to see the tiny letters on a mobile app. I do not have anyone that I can call to come to my house and help me if I have issues. I am an early Fing user. I pre-ordered 2 Fing boxes and waited 6 months for them to be released and delivered. I have since upgraded one of my boxes to the version 2 Fing. I have been using my online account to see my devices to try and manage them. Between my Ring, Amazon, Apple, eero mesh WiFi I have 46 devices to monitor. Apparently I  spent money on a 1-year subscription that will not benefit me. 
    CharlieRetroMoose
  • CommanderBCommanderB Member Posts: 4
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Comment
    @HappyChap Oh wow! Now there is a fundamental misunderstanding I shared - Fing Desktop and Fingbox have nothing to do with each other. Hmmm.... So why would I use Fing Desktop when I have a Fingbox? Like you say only to save having to pull out the phone
    CharlieGenefromwv
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,638
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rodger , not sure I'm following.  You paid for and received a Fingbox plus an application to go along with it.  In the years since Fing has  enhanced the products feature set.  Now they have come up with a new desktop product, which is not related to the product you bought, and have not removed ANY functionality from the mobile product which you paid for at the same time.  

Is Fing supposed to provide any product and its associated full feature set it develops to Fingbox users for free, regardless of the products relationship to the Fingbox?  

Lastly Fing has been a cloud based company from the get go, from that point nothing has changed.  They have just added software based discovery and troubleshooting products to their mix.

I mean no disrespect in my answer but I am trying to understand the disconnect...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    KayJayHappyChapMaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When the desktop beta came out, there was a much clearer demark in features between Fingbox and Desktop. With V2 of the desktop, I have to agree they are narrowing. There are still a few bandwidth testing pieces, digital fence Etc that separate the two for now.

• Liquidm3t4lLiquidm3t4l Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I would be interested in purchasing a Pro License but not at a monthly rate. If there's going to be a yearly or lifetime subscription that would be more appealing.  Currently I don't see that option. 
    Rob_GRetroMoose
  • DRM148DRM148 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I installed this today as I was hoping it would not interrupt my connectivity like the previous version did (had to disable/enable NIC every after each health check). It was good to see that this did not happen at all today, however each time a health check was run whilst I was on a conference call using Teams (had lots of long conference calls today) the video and audio would freeze. I thought it could be CPU/Memory as I had lots open but looking at task manager this was not the case. Also ensured everything was closed down when on a teams call and found the same issues every now and again. I monitored when the health checks were performed on one monitor and it coincided exactly with the freezing in MS Teams. Gotta say if the network monitoring tool is causing network issues for applications, it kidn of negates the value for the network monitoring tool? Using Windows 10 on an I7 Quad-core Desktop with 32GB ram - latest version of MS Teams. Also found similar issues when connected to a Zoom call so not isolated to MS Teams.
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Liquidm3t4l there is a yearly subscription option on this page https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose#
    It's at the top of the page (see below):

MarcrootedCiaran
  • Carlos66_vlcCarlos66_vlc Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Hi, there! When I install Fing Desktop (Mac OSX El Capitan) it will instantly and automatically update to the latest version, which unfortunately seems not to work anymore, at least with El Capitan. Any ideas, please? In fact, I am not sure if the problem is the updated version or not, because when the update is applied, what I find is the same message as other users:

sjmo2
  • Carlos66_vlcCarlos66_vlc Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Hi, there! When I install Fing Desktop (Mac OSX El Capitan) it will instantly and automatically update to the latest version, which unfortunately seems not to work anymore, at least with El Capitan. Any ideas, please? In fact, I am not sure if the problem is the updated version or not, because when the update is applied, what I find is the same message as other users:

Jon_Irish
  • lynnklynnk Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm also using El Capitan and it fails with the Fing Agent. I contacted Fing support and they said it only works with Catalina and on.
    Robin
  • HappyChapHappyChap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    lynnk said:
    I'm also using El Capitan and it fails with the Fing Agent. I contacted Fing support and they said it only works with Catalina and on.
    I'm running it successfully on Mojave and High Sierra.
  • SteveCougarSteveCougar Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I too was one of the VERY early adopters and crowdfunding champions. When I received my units I was really, and still am impressed. BUT when I finally needed some support i was SHOCKED to find that my ONLY means of support was through "THE COMMUNITY"! There is not even a "Support" link ANYWHERE to be found on the website!  I also notice that in the "COMMUNITY" the official Fing support people don't always answer the questions it's as if they are having comprehension issues. I also feel, as do many, that Fing should offer a discount on this new $$$$ubscription model to those who helped you fund this amazing product as a way to say "Thanks to our early supporters for helping us realize our dream".
    By the way, I STILL can NOT install version 2.0 on my Win 7 machine after direct customer support suggestions, some of which seemed like "canned" answers. The service won't start and the install keeps saying "Setup not completely successful" Deleting the older version and the service does nothing to install 2.0.
  • lynnklynnk Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Or El Capitan.
  • dallinasdallinas Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have a fingbox (early adopter), so i guess I don't need a premium subscription?
    mikimikebtstana
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @dallinas, your Fingbox only works with Fing's Mobile Application (iOS or Android) and does not require a subscription for that interaction. Fingbox does not work with or interact with the Fing Desktop application.  

The Fing Desktop, is a separate product from Fingbox and the Mobile App.  There is a premium subscription option for it if you want the additional feature it provides. 
    Ciaran
  • JCAlexandresJCAlexandres Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Please bring Fing Desktop to the enterprise level, being able to scan subnets at the WAN level would be awesome! Thanks you for the great work, keep up with it!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JCAlexandres, for Fings enterprise strategy, see this link...  https://www.fing.com/business
    JCAlexandres
  • JCAlexandresJCAlexandres Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    But that is cloud-based right? Despite I have years using Fing on my mobile device, and recently the desktop version, I didn't know there was a business-class version, gotta check it out! Thank you for the link, very much appreciated.
  • SteveCougarSteveCougar Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    If you think cloud-based Fing in business-class is cool wait until you try the amazing "Fing First Class". It has leather covered code and every byte is hand stitched PLUS you get a diamond studded language translator with batteries and free concierge service for a year!
  • Rob_GRob_G Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    LMAO @ paying $7 a month for Fing to monitor my network and sell the information gathered.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 874
    500 Comments 100 Awesomes 25 Answers 100 Likes
    admin
    @Rob_G, the subscription users pay for, should they decide to subscribe to Fing Desktop Premium is for the additional tools, functionalities and capabilities of Fing Desktop. It also will assist in adding additional functionalities (based on user feedback) which we are eager to do.  Regarding your comments in relation to privacy, please refer to a previous comment on this thread:
    Fing is a cloud based software and as such a Fing account is required in order to deliver its functionality. Any personal information we hold about you in our cloud is used solely for the purpose of delivering and improving our service to you. With regards to Local API: it’s actually local for Fing desktop.

As a general principle we apply (and sometimes outperform) industry standards for encryption, pseudonimization, anonymization and data segregation for all personal data stored.

We do not sell, rent, or share any personal information with any external third party. All information we hold about a user is visible to the user at https://app.fing.com/app#user:account and can be deleted upon request by cancelling your account with us. For more information about our privacy policy and practices, please visit https://app.fing.com/privacy. I hope this helps

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • starkstaringstarkstaring Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I may be missing something obvious, but Fing desktop doesn't work with Fingbox and you want to charge me extra money per month to continue using the desktop when I've already shelled out £99 for a piece of hardware?
    pedal999
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    I may be missing something obvious, but Fing desktop doesn't work with Fingbox and you want to charge me extra money per month to continue using the desktop when I've already shelled out £99 for a piece of hardware?

Thank you for your post.
    To note: If you have a Fingbox,  none of your Fingbox features or functionalities have been affected.

We currently have 3 different product offerings:

1.     Fing Mobile App

2.     Fing Desktop

3.     Fingbox

All functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. It is a completely separate product from the New Fing Desktop 2.0. Should you decide to subscribe to Fing Desktop Premium, the amount is for the additional tools, functionalities, and capabilities of Fing Desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • sjmo2sjmo2 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited July 19
    Installed Fing 2.0 desktop Mac and joined premium as I am a big fan of Fing as a utility tool.  So far pretty unimpressed and disappointed with the desktop app.

• very slow, scanning is a crawl and high resource user
    • scanned device screen (which is what I use it most) is essentially non-responsive, can't sort, reorder, change view on the fly.  Buttons non-functional
    • Buggy in general
    Not sure what your beta process was, but these seem fundamental.  All, beware before committing to pro version until these are fixed
  • NexxNexx Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I found a bug in this new version. When I click refresh button while on Devices page the app goes to a blank screen. I then have to restart the app. 
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19
    sjmo2 said:
    Installed Fing 2.0 desktop Mac and joined premium as I am a big fan of Fing as a utility tool.  So far pretty unimpressed and disappointed with the desktop app.

• very slow, scanning is a crawl and high resource user
    • scanned device screen (which is what I use it most) is essentially non-responsive, can't sort, reorder, change view on the fly.  Buttons non-functional
    • Buggy in general
    Not sure what your beta process was, but these seem fundamental.  All, beware before committing to pro version until these are fixed
    @sjmo2 a few questions ...

• How many devices are you scanning?  For example I have ~35 and it scans about the same as the mobile app.
    • What is not responsive on the scanned device screen?  Are you referring to the headers which don't allow you to sort or is there a feature you were trying to use that did not work?
    • What are the bugs you're experiencing?
    I ask this because the more specific you can get in your comments, the more Fing has to go on for comment and or troubleshooting.  Thanks.
    @Robin and @Ciaran , please note.
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Nexx said:
    I found a bug in this new version. When I click refresh button while on Devices page the app goes to a blank screen. I then have to restart the app. 
    Are you using Fing desktop on MAC or Windows device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Dear Fing staff

In my opinion the option box for selecting the Premium option do not belong where it is today, its the wrong way to promote an option that many including myself don't want and the box disturbs the nice layout.

The adding of the premium tools, I don't get when beta testers included myself brought many suggestions for enhancements like free text for device names...variable column size for the device list and others.

Will I buy the premium more than likely not as several of the tools are freely available on the internet or part of OSs or can be added to the OSs.

Just my humble 2 cents.

• CloudWork3rCloudWork3r Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited August 1