EXCITING NEWS, FING DESKTOP 2.0 IS HERE…

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 820
500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
admin
edited June 30 in Fing Desktop

Hi All,

EXCITING NEWS, FING DESKTOP 2.0 IS HERE…

As you know, we have been working very hard on our new product offering ‘Fing Desktop’ since the end of 2019.

We have run an intense Beta testing, as well as multiple follow version releases since its official release to all in February 2020. Our Engineering & Product teams have been working tirelessly on addressing queries and working on features based on user feedback.

Fing Desktop was released on a ‘Freemium’ basis, i.e. it is free of charge, but a premium would be charged for additional features, services, tools etc. that expand the functionality of the free version of the software).

Today, we have now launched Fing Desktop 2.0. Included in this release, we will be offering a ‘Premium’ option of Fing Desktop, with additional features and enhanced capabilities.

How do I get Fing Desktop 2.0?

To get the latest release ASAP, simply:

• Close and reopen the UI
  • Download it and install it over (w/o uninstalling previous) from get.fing.com
Download links:  https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop
See below a brief overview of the benefits of subscribing to Fing Desktop Premium.

Premium Plan info:   https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose#

Thank you everybody for your feedback, suggestions & contribution,

Ciaran, Robin & All of the Fing Team

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
CiaranRobinCarlo_from_Fingkltaylorrooted

Comments

• lov2krzlov2krz Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I just downloaded the new version 2.0 for Mac and the app is flashing.  It's hard to describe but when the app is open parts of the dialogue box is flashing on and off.  I've got two screenshots that show the graphics there and then gone.  I hope this helps.
    Steven

• JamesKJamesK Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have downloaded 2.0 and it looks great.  Considered going premium for the "Gold Support".  Can you elaborate on that?  I am not an advanced user and have struggled to understand responses to some of the questions I find on here, i.e. terms and concepts.  For example-- persistent daily reminder of rogue access attempts that seem to be bogus but I cannot figure out how to make them stop.
    Anyway-- would Gold Support be a help for things like the above?  I really like Fing and would like to get better at using it.  Thanks!
  • SethGSethG Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 30
    Having issues on Windows. Fing Desktop 2.0 seems to break the Fing.Agent service. Additionally, if I uninstall and then reinstall, 2.0 doesn't even install the Fing.Agent service. So I have to install 1.4.1 first to get the service installed (where it's working), then if I update, it breaks itself again.

If I try to start the Fing.Agent service directly from the Services mmc, I get Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
    If I try running fingagent.exe --version, I get: fingagent.exe - System Error // The code execution cannot proceed because Wlanapi.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

This is running on Windows Server 2019. I went looking for this wlanapi.dll file and it's in WinSxS, which means there should be no reason why fingagent.exe 1) shouldn't be able to find it and use it, and 2) should definitely have no ability to influence whether or not the file exists or not (since it's in Windows protected space).

What's even more disconcerting is that Fing assumes implicitly that it has my consent (which I never gave) to update; so even if I downgrade to a working version, it still forces an update to a broken state, effectively bricking itself. This is very bad UX, like literally the worst, because I can't cancel or dismiss the update. I can't even continue using the app once the update notification dialog pops up.
    bmontfordอาย๔
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 820
    admin

@DickBowyer & @apt

Thank you for your message.
    To note: If you have a Fingbox,  none of your Fingbox features or functionalities have been affected.

We currently have 3 product offerings:

1.     Fing Mobile App

2.     Fing Desktop

3.     Fingbox

All functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. It is a completely separate product from the New Fing Desktop 2.0. Regarding the API (and any other Fing Desktop Premium specific features), you would need a Fing Desktop Premium Subscription to access. Thanks

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Maya
  • aptapt Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Answer First Comment
    ✭✭

So the local API is not coming to FingBox? Doesn’t make sense to run a Desktop version when I already have hardware that will do the job.

CrazyHickJon_IrishLiveMikeitsdreednozzobmontfordParmar
  • Rix000Rix000 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 1
    Downloaded and installed Fing 2 and my laptop has ground to a halt.  I can't even describe it as being laggy, it has just stopped.  It's so bad that I can not use it at all without quitting Fing.
    I tried allowing it to "settle in" overnight after a reboot [or two] but it's still the same this morning.  Task manager [took a while to launch but got there eventually] shows Fing as dominating resources use: cpu and memory.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to uninstall, sorry.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,073
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    apt said:

So the local API is not coming to FingBox? Doesn’t make sense to run a Desktop version when I already have hardware that will do the job.

As of now, the local API is for Fing desktop only. For fingbox users, I have put in the suggestion and hopefully, it will be reviewed over for future release but currently, there is no time frame or update on this.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    aptCrazyHickParmar
    admin
    JamesK said:
    I have downloaded 2.0 and it looks great.  Considered going premium for the "Gold Support".  Can you elaborate on that?  I am not an advanced user and have struggled to understand responses to some of the questions I find on here, i.e. terms and concepts.  For example-- persistent daily reminder of rogue access attempts that seem to be bogus but I cannot figure out how to make them stop.
    Anyway-- would Gold Support be a help for things like the above?  I really like Fing and would like to get better at using it.  Thanks!
    To know in detail about the premium features, you can refer this link and see what features are covered: https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose#
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • BruceLDBruceLD Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    5 Agrees First Comment Photogenic

Hmmm... not impressed that as an early adopter of Fingbox, features of the system are now only available with an expensive subscription (domestic user here - no benefits to a business or assisting a career).

Fing was built on the shoulders of sponsors; seems disingenuous to leave us in your dust as you introduce increased functionality.

Hey ho.

itsdreednozzobmontfordParmarRHHAerodex
  • HappyChapHappyChap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

Hi there, is there anything being removed or limited in the v2.0 free version compared to the version we have all been testing/using up until now?

Thanks, David.

admin
    Hi @BruceLD @HappyChap
    Thanks for your feedback in relation to Fing Desktop 2.0 To update, we have not removed any functionality but only enhanced and added more features. For free users, you get 6 credits daily to use premium features on Fing desktop which gets reset daily. You can see these credits on top right corner.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ParmarParmar Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Anyone else noticing higher temps when running Fing 2.0?
    I pulled up my Task Manager and noticed that the moment I open up Fing, my GPU usage shoots up. Even if it's just sat there doing nothing. Currently running a mid-high range graphics card and as soon as I start Fing, I can hear the fans on it spin up (they only spin up when it heats up over a threshold). The GPU graph in Task Manager shows usage at around 50%. As soon as I close Fing, it drops to back to normal around 6-7%.
    I'm running several other apps, non of which are currently causing the GPU usage spikes like this.

admin
    Hi @Parmar
    You can disable the Hardware acceleration on Fing Desktop 2.0 by going into preferences by clicking on the Version number. This will resolve your issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Parmardonvy
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Hey, happy Canada Day from here in Canada!!

Quick question for you. With all the new features in Fing Desktop 2.0, is there any advantage to having a Fingbox on my network or would having Fing Desktop running on an “always on” computer provide all the same feature and more? Or is it better to have both products?

Ok maybe more than one question there 🤪

Keep me posted.

DickBowyer
  • CommanderBCommanderB Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    apt said:
    Do Fingbox users get Premium access as part of the hardware package are does that cost extra? for example as a Fingbox early adopter I'd like to take advantage of the local API and Home Assistant features once available but having paid for the hardware I can't really justify paying more for the additional features.

I think its worse, they are taking away features from Fingbox owners- the automated bandwidth monitoring and monthly health report move to premium.
    RHHStrongy
    admin
    Hi All, thank you all very much for your feedback thus far. To confirm, functionality has not been removed from Fingbox. Bandwidth anaylsis is available on the 'Network' tab of the Fingbox Dashboard display and monthly reports can be sent via the 'Internet' tab.  Happy Canada day @KayJay :)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    edited July 1
    Thanks for your reply @Robin but I'm confused having now read the "Find the right plan for you" page.

I know Fing desktop combined with my Fingbox (I'm not sure exactly which is providing which functionality) is currently:

- reviewing my network several times a day for open ports, etc. (not just once)
    - tells me when a new device joins my network (assume this is intruder detection)
    - gives me push notifications (not just locally)
    - has no ads (as far as I've noticed anyway)
    - automatically checks my Internet performance 3 times a day (not manually)

So I am going to lose or now experienced limited functionality unless I subscribe to Premium as well?

Thanks, David.

JimDallas
  • CommanderBCommanderB Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Yes...agree... that was my observation... @KayJay suggest you enjoy your Dominion Day and then an matrix of what Fingbox owners get for free, get with premium and clarity if anything is removed from current without premium.
  • RHHRHH Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Founder Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    hmmm not so sure about the pricing or the "extra" features you get. The API needs to be local to the FingBox, not via the app and then cloud. Fing is a consumer product that has a great following in the DIY smart home market- please dont forget about your followers and what they want to achieve - review all the feature request.  
    On that note- can @Robin confirm the data captured from Fingbox is it sold on ? is this the reason for the drive to have App and Cloud system not local so you can harvest more data? 
  • JimDallasJimDallas Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2
    nvrmind
  • lynnklynnk Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Can't update to Fing 2.0 on a Mac. Help.
  • Lou_Thed46Lou_Thed46 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yesterday I downloaded the new Desktop Fing App for my iMac. Spent a couple of hours going through each device naming and adding the correct icon. This morning I log into the desktop app and all the work I had done was back to the names and icons when I originally downloaded the app. I spent another 2 hours changing names and icons logged back in after a few hours and everything had changed back to the names and icons that originally appeared. I am already disappointed with this app. I should have waited to pay the subscription fee. 
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,277
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Folks, please don’t confuse Fings desktop application with the mobile app from the Fingbox’s angle.

The Fingbox does not use nor interact with the desktop. The desktop cannot manage or get data from it. It only interacts with the mobile app. These are different product offerings as far as Fing is concerned.

All current Mobile app with Fingbox features continue to work as before and as @Robin mentioned, no functionality has been removed.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    HappyChap
  • DARAminiDARAmini Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Cool 🤔

• virg1505virg1505 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2
    LINUX, please. I don't do Windows, nor do I Mac.
    Danke shön - 🐧

PS. - I'm an early adopter
    admin
    @RHH Fing is a cloud based software and as such a Fing account is required in order to deliver its functionality. Any personal information we hold about you in our cloud is used solely for the purpose of delivering and improving our service to you. With regards to Local API: it’s actually local for Fing desktop.

As a general principle we apply (and sometimes outperform) industry standards for encryption, pseudonimization, anonymization and data segregation for all personal data stored.

We do not sell, rent, or share any personal information with any external third party. All information we hold about a user is visible to the user at https://app.fing.com/app#user:account and can be deleted upon request by cancelling your account with us. For more information about our privacy policy and practices, please visit https://app.fing.com/privacy. I hope this helps

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    RHH
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 51
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    @Ciaran @Robin I think it would be in everyone's best interest if the team at Fing whipped up a quick product matrix that showed the features of each. To avoid confusion with actual features, I made up a few of my own. 

RobinMarcdonvy
    Marc said:

Folks, please don’t confuse Fings desktop application with the mobile app from the Fingbox’s angle.

The Fingbox does not use nor interact with the desktop. The desktop cannot manage or get data from it. It only interacts with the mobile app. These are different product offerings as far as Fing is concerned.

All current Mobile app with Fingbox features continue to work as before and as @Robin mentioned, no functionality has been removed.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks @Marc, I was labouring under the misapprehension that Fing Desktop was working in conjunction with and interacting with my Fingbox.

I presume there is no desktop interface for the Fingbox then? When sitting at my desk, it would be really handy to be able to use my desktop to check something out rather than whip out my phone to fire up the app. 

I just assumed that's what Fing Desktop had been designed for, not that it was an alternative to buying a Fingbox.
    ParmarDickBowyer