Fingbox - multiple sub networks?

Scotty1000000Scotty1000000 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited June 28 in Fingbox

Hi, I currently have a BT Smart Hub6 with 1 extender. The BT Ethernet connections and wifi network are used for my smart home devices. On this network I also have 3 power line adapters for my cable TV.

Due to poor wifi coverage i added a separate router (Amplifi) in Bridge mode and 2 mesh access points to create a 2nd wifi (mesh) network named AMP that i use for personal mobile/laptop use. I currently dont use the ethernet connection on the AMP (Not sure the ethernet ports actually works).

Question - I currently have a fingbox connected to my BT smarthub Network. Does the fingbox cover any sub networks that i have created by using extra routers in Bridge mode? I wanted to know if I can find the devices or people that are specifically just connected to either the AMP network or the BT network?

Ideally on fing I would like my mobiles/people

to show up on my AMP network but not on my BT Network?

Can the fingbox do this?

In fing I currently do a scan of the AMP wifi mesh network and it prompts for, "there is an active fingbox on the network do you want to scan with fingbox", I chose no as it just shows all my BT Network, however the scan of just the AMP network still shows all of my smart home devices that are on the BT Network.

I also have a guest wifi network created by my Amplifi router. Can fingbox cover this?

I am new to networking so please excuse me if I am making obvious errors.

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,348
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Scotty1000000, a Fingbox can only cover a single subnet. You would need to purchase additional units to cover your other subsets. That also includes guest networks. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Scotty1000000Scotty1000000 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Hi Marc, thanks for you reply.

So my BT Smart Hub network is covered by the Fingbox. Is my sub network (AMP that is in Bridge mode) also covered covered by the same Fingbox? Or do I need an extra fingbox?

I understand that i definitely need a separate fingbox for a guest network.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin

Hi Marc, thanks for you reply.

So my BT Smart Hub network is covered by the Fingbox. Is my sub network (AMP that is in Bridge mode) also covered covered by the same Fingbox? Or do I need an extra fingbox?

I understand that i definitely need a separate fingbox for a guest network.

Yes, you will need a separate Fingbox for every subnet.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!