Blocked and Paused devices keep accessing the net

HK_Phooey
HK_Phooey Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
Hi, I do not manage to block and pause devices. I follow the proper instructions on my App, everything seems to be properly set (paused or blocked menu confirms activation) but devices keep surfing on the net. Where is the trouble? is it my router? I linked my FIngbox to two different Movistar (my wifi provider in Spain) routers and same result, no device is under control. Any help on this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 #2
    @HK_Phooey - do you know if your devices are connecting with IPv4 or IPv6 addresses? This is setting that's probably controlled by your router.

If they are using IPv6 then that's the problem - the Fingbox can only work it's magic on devices using IPv4 addresses - once IPv6 comes into play then the method used to block devices no longer works.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • Adrius42
    Adrius42 Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    What is the method used to block devices??
    Sadly the peoples of the world are leaking cyber agency faster than they know it!
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adrius42 The Fingbox uses ARP poisoning - a process that spoofs the blocked devices into thinking that the Fingbox is the Gateway as opposed to the real gateway. The FIngbox then takes the outward bound packets from the blocked device and silently drops them, this essentially blocking the device from the network.
  • Chalkybloke
    Chalkybloke Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

@HK_Phooey I believe that some devices don’t refresh their ARP cache and still communicate with the real gateway rather than the Fingbox even when “paused”.

I have some IP cameras etc that don’t play with the pause feature very well. I don’t know if there is anyway for the Fingbox to tell if it’s attempt at ARP poisoning has worked or not but it appears that the Fing UI is just reporting that it sent the ARP poisonings message, not that it was successful.

@violetchepil - if it is possible for Fingbox to detect that a paused internet device is still communicating with the gateway, could this be ihighlighted in the FingApp UI in a future update?

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chalkybloke we'd need to submit as a feature request! I'm not sure if it's able to tell. @Robin anything to add? 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @HK_Phooey - can you confirm whether IPv6 is disabled on the router?
    The block feature requires IPv6 disabling. Please let me know. 

• HK_Phooey
    HK_Phooey Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks for the replies. I believe the router is connecting IPv6 addresses, not able to connect into the router. The network provider is Movistar (Spain) and the router is a Comtrend VG 8050. Does it tells you anything?
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@HK_Phooey you state that you're unsure to connect to the router: is that because Moviestar haven't allowed you to our there another reason?

There is an option to control IPv6 on your router as shown here:

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @HK_Phooey let us know if you are able to disable the IPv6. As @Pooh shared above you'd need to check with your manufacturer on this too.