Won’t Activate

BFitzBFitz Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

If I scan the network using the Fing app on IOS on a iPhone or iPad, I can see and ping the Fing Box no issue. The app will not find it to add it to my account. Not sure what else to do. It’s currently plugged into the router directly and I have a separate ruckus R720 Access Point providing WiFi.

Gear: (All up to date on firmware)

Router: Pakedge RK-1

Switch: Pakedge SX-24P

Access Point: Ruckus R720 Unleashed

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi @BFitz , is this a new one or one you had working and now no longer does?  If you log into fing.com and access your account, does it show up?

Edit: FYI, I did see the word activate in your post, just making sure its not a used or one you had used before and reactivating it.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • BFitzBFitz Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic

Brand new, just received it today. Waited for it to turn green, has been green and pulsing for hours now.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The usual things fing asks you to check...  Ethernet cable, though as you can ping it I doubt that’s the issue.  Is your mobile device on the same subnet and network as the Fingbox?  

And of course these steps...

Connecting Your Fingbox to the Fing App

• Download the Fing mobile app for iOS or Android
    • Create a Fing account
    • Once you have created your account, click on your icon in the top right-hand corner. The screen below should appear.

• Click Add a Fingbox and follow the step-by-step process to configure your Fingbox
    • Once configured the lights on top of your Fingbox should turn blue
    First Comment Photogenic

If I do a scan with Fing as usual, it prompts me there is an unactivated fingbox. Once I start a scan, it fails to find the fingbox. I’m set DHCP across the board. I am on the same subnet, Sonos wouldn’t work otherwise.

The usual suspects are cleared. Cables are good. I was wondering if there is an IGMP or Multicast type issue between my WiFi and the fingbox. Ruckus has directed multicast enabled by default and I usually disable that since it causes other issues within the network.

✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could re-enable it temporarily to see it works for activating the Fingbox. That would at least eliminate it as the cause.

I’m tagging the fing folks as well to see if they can add any insights into this issue. @Robin or @Ciaran , any ideas on how to resolve ?

First Comment Photogenic

At this point I feel like I’ve tried everything. Going to bring it to another network to see if it has any issues activating over there. I may have a failed piece of equipment.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc for the support.
    @BFitz
    Can you try to delete the network scanned and saved by Fing app and then uninstall the app and reboot the device. After that install the Fing app and make sure your device is connected to same access point as Fingbox. After that you can try to scan for Fingbox.

To assist with setting up your Fingbox set up, under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the bottom corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!