FingBox Internet Speed Test is wildly inaccurate

Busta999Busta999 Member Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic
I have 930Mbs down and 130Mbs up which FingBox reports as 102Mbps and 83Mbps respectively.
FingBox did seem more accurate when I had 70/20mbs service but seems to lose the plot as the speed increases.
Any forecast when this will be fixed? 
dRagonT

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Busta999 , Fing uses m-labs for speed testing.  Can you  please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

Looking to see if its a fing issue or their testing provider...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • Busta999Busta999 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks.
    M-Lab speed Test returns the same.
    The Ubiquiti Speed Test reports 350Mbs/100Mbs
    BT reports 930Mbs/130Mbs.
    So not sure why such a large discrepancy.

• RhinorooRhinoroo Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I can also confirm I see very large discrepancies when using the Fingbox v1 & v2 versus the link you provided. I have 1Gbps synchronous fiber and the Fingbox always tests at around 500Mbps or less. I have tried multiple cables and boxes to with the same result. This really needs fixed as it is not a new problem.
    dRagonT
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rhinoroo , are you saying you see internet speed test differences between m-Labs and what you see when its done via Fingbox?
    @Marc , Yes - I can confirm that and just assumed Fingbox was not capable of testing at speeds above 500Mbps because it never tests higher than that. Unit is directly connected to primary 48port Unifi Switch at Gigabit Full Duplex as reported by both Unifi controller and Fingbox.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That should not be from what I've read (Though I could be wrong).  Tagging @Robin and @Ciaran from Fing for comment.
  • ThirganorThirganor Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 12
    If it can help, I have the same behavior in Germany with my cable connection. With my 400/20 earlier, the speed tests were pretty accurate. Since I've moved to 1000/50, the fingbox wasn't really able to go over 550 Mbits during speed tests. I thought it was ok, since my windows server didn't show pretty much... But my provider has now a test which is testing also the perf to the modem and it shows me most of the time over 1000 available. I installed a Linux on a laptop to check without windows, directly connected to the router... and I'm getting 940/50 with my provider test. Speedtest.net give me also round about 940/50... And MLAB more than 870/50.
    I've now plugged my Fingbox v1 directly to the router where my laptop was... Speed test 470/45, but even worse 101ms ping, were all other tests gave me between 10 and 20ms.
    Is the Fingbox really able to test gigabit Links ?
    Is there a way to "reset" / force upgrade the box ?
    I would love to see someone from Fing weigh in here.. @Robin or @Ciaran?
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    edited July 16
    Rhinoroo said:
    @Marc , Yes - I can confirm that and just assumed Fingbox was not capable of testing at speeds above 500Mbps because it never tests higher than that. Unit is directly connected to primary 48port Unifi Switch at Gigabit Full Duplex as reported by both Unifi controller and Fingbox.
    As previously mentioned on other posts, I will share the information here. 
     We have been in contact earlier with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single-stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single-stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    admin
    Also, I would like you to try some new CAT 6 or 7 cable with your Fingbox and see if that makes a difference. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • dRagonTdRagonT Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Is Fing testing and/or migrating to the new M-Lab NDT7 protocol that could be fixing this speed test issue with Fingbox?

https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/ndt7-introduction/

https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/migrating-ndt-clients-to-ndt7/#migrating-ndt-clients-to-ndt7

admin
    dRagonT said:

Is Fing testing and/or migrating to the new M-Lab NDT7 protocol that could be fixing this speed test issue with Fingbox?

https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/ndt7-introduction/

https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/migrating-ndt-clients-to-ndt7/#migrating-ndt-clients-to-ndt7

Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.
    Please run the speed test from Fing desktop as well to compare the test results with Fing app and M-lab website and share the results with us so I can investigate further? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)