Fing Desktop and IOS app display very different list of devices

AmitabaAmitaba Member Posts: 3
First Comment
I cannot get any agreement between Fing Desktop and IOS Fing app. The list of devices is different (10 shown on app, only 6 on desktop). PC and phone are on same network. Edits on the phone (name of item, etc.) are not reflected on desktop. Edits to items on app keep disappearing and device reverts to "generic"
btstana

Answers

• MartinoPMartinoP Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    Have you tried manually syncing/resetting the account storage on the iOS app? (Account/Account storage) I had this problem once and I fixed it by resetting and re-syncing the data.
  • AmitabaAmitaba Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Thanks but it still doesn't resolve the list disparity between IOS and Desktop. IOS shows 11 devices, desktop shows 4.
    The other issue is that I keep editing one device to change from Generic to iPad. The IP address has not changed, yet every time I launch the IOS app all my edits are gone and it's back to Generic with no details. (The desktop has never found this device)
    btstana
  • MartinoPMartinoP Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    IDK, when I had your exact problem this fixed it
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Amitaba

To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AmitabaAmitaba Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Thx for extra info. I do not have a Fingbox, only Desktop & mobile IOS. I am beginning to think the Desktop adds no value, as it does not seem to sync, contains (always) fewer entries than mobile, etc. I will try a bit longer, as I prefer to edit and update on normal keyboard/PC but if the two apps won't seamlessly update and sync with each other then it's no use.
    btstana
  • BoomerangThreeBoomerangThree Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 3
    Robin said:
    Hi @Amitaba

To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin,

Robin or Anyone,

So, if I want to change "Device Names" I should change them on the iOS App that connects to the Fingbox and NOT the desktop app?

Appreciate the support and education.
    Robin
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @BoomerangThree
    If you want to change the device name for Fingbox detected devices then please do it on the Fing mobile app and if you want to change names for Fing desktop, then you can perform it on the Fing Desktop itself. But if you want to see the changes you made on Fing desktop on the mobile app, then you need to select the Fing Desktop network from the list of networks on mobile app and you can see the customized device name as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!