Fingbox Alerts when Using Vlans

MessyMessy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic

I recently moved from a mish mash of different makes of access points switches routers and load balancer to a network using just Ubiquiti AP and switches and an EdgeRouter.

Now I have a vlan for the IOT, another for visitors, another for my wireless speakers and finally one for everything else. (4 Vlans).

I have a Fingbox on my ADSL feed and another on my cable feed.

The problem I am having is that both Fingboxes keeps alerting for the devices on using that particular feed. So I am getting alert emails several times a day for each and every device (96 devices).

My question is how do I reduce these alerts to just new/unexpected device?

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Tagged:

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,073
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Messy
    Are both Fingboxes connected to different networks/subnets? Also, where are the Fingboxes connected to?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
  • MessyMessy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    edited June 26

Hi

Fingbox 1 is directly connected to the ADSL router (subnet 1) and is fed via Nat subnets 3 and 4.

Fingbox 2 is directly connected to the Cable router (subnet 2) and is fed via Nat subnets 5 and 6, plus fail over for subnet 3.

Both routers are connected to the load balancer on different ports.

Also to note that each AP broadcasts four of the subnets, two SSIDs are withheld.

Thanks

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,188
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Messy:
    First let me say that you chose a really great brand for your networking needs, but I'd like to ask why the complexity that you have designed? 
    The Fingbox is going to report information on the network that they are attached to, and not a wireless/vlan connection.  If all of your devices on the different subnets can all speak to the main hub, yes it will report all of the devices and (hopefully) with their respective subnet assignments.
    There is a configuration to setup Fingbox to alert you differently and how often.  Check the Notifications area for more information on that.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin
  • MessyMessy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23

Hi

I will check the notifications thank you.

I am now thinking that I need to put the Fingboxes on the mgmnt, normal use and guest subnets and lock down the other subnets (with a mac white list) that I don't expect to change once set up.

Because the subnets exist on all the switches and AP I am hoping that once they are recognised by the Fingboxes they stop alerting.

The number of APs is due to a long and relatively narrow property.

The complexity is a result of my being risk adverse = multiple comms and a desire to separate my normal lan from visitors and IOT devices. Also protect my house and outbuilding cctv and alarms from undue attention.

96 devices boils down to 12 being PC's phone's printers etc 10 being security devices and the rest being basically IOT and the network itself. Soon adds up.

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,188
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I see, thanks for the information on that.  Didn't realize that this was such a large property as it is described as.
    Basically the Fingbox will report anything that obtains an IP address from the Gateway/Router that it can access.  If you're using 'advanced' subnetting to segment IP addresses to specific regions within the property, then Fingbox will report that.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain