Fing reporting device name A as being attached to Device B, device A refuses to connect to network

For about a week now I've been running a Pi Hole on an Ubuntu 18.04 desktop. On the device I named it "Pie", and Fing reflected this name when it added the device to it's list.

This morning out of the blue, the desktop refuses to connect to my network (or the guest network on the same router), and has an IP address of 192.168.1.19...but when I look at Fing, "Pie" is being listed as a Galaxy S10 with an ip address of 192.168.18. Here's the bizarre part:

There is an S10 on the network. It's been there since before the Pi-Hole, and Device Details reflect that it's been here for almost a year. So it's the same entry, same mac address, Fing knows it's the same device. But it suddenly is applying a new device name to it (and I checked, the S10 didn't have it's name changed).
In addition, there's another "Pie" in range, IP address 0.0.0.0, identified as a TP-Link (probably the wireless adapter plugged into the desktop).

What the hell is going on here? The router was running DHCP but Pi-Hole was set to a static address, so I don't understand why everything's changed.

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,073
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @MSI
    Thanks for your post. Have you tried to manually recognize the device? Also, you can try to delete the network identified by Fing Desktop from web app and then scan again to check.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MSIMSI Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Robin said:
    Hi @MSI
    Thanks for your post. Have you tried to manually recognize the device? Also, you can try to delete the network identified by Fing Desktop from web app and then scan again to check.
    I mean I do have the ability to, I didn't because I wanted to save evidence of the fact it's reporting the wrong name. I just don't understand why it'd be claiming that the device-reported name is different then the actual device's name.

I do know my ISP did something overnight prior to this that among other things resulted in about a half hour of no internet. Is it possible their actions may have resulted in not only a round of IP addresses, but an override of existing DHCP static addresses?

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,073
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    MSI said:
    I mean I do have the ability to, I didn't because I wanted to save evidence of the fact it's reporting the wrong name. I just don't understand why it'd be claiming that the device-reported name is different then the actual device's name.

I do know my ISP did something overnight prior to this that among other things resulted in about a half hour of no internet. Is it possible their actions may have resulted in not only a round of IP addresses, but an override of existing DHCP static addresses?

There can be chances of this if something changed on the router then it may affect the Fing recognition as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!