Device and security

ComputerDumbo1ComputerDumbo1 Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
 I have a sky router and 12 devices on.  When I scan devices they are set up as file server, upnp and one as a “host”. 
 ports 135.  139.  445. Are open  and  on my sky+ port 8080 is opened as a second web server
i am just wondering if these are all safe?   Any advice would be very welcome.  Thanks 

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,073
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks for your post @ComputerDumbo1
    I am sure our moderators can guide you much better for this. Any advice @rooted @Marc @kltaylor @Pixelpopper
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 729
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

Are they open externally? If not it's safe.

Try running a port scan from the GRC Shields Up site:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Marc
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,278
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You might also want to check the router and make sure that upnp is turned off. This will prevent any internal devices from opening up random ports without your knowledge. You might need to reboot your router after you do this.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    rooted
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Likes Member of the Month 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    edited June 24
    Hi @ComputerDumbo1 Marc’s suggestion to turn off “upnp” will be a good check to prove which functions/software are opening ports but bear in mind that some of your apps may not function correctly, or at all, when upnp is disabled.
  • CDM69CDM69 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hello everyone, I was wondering how to stop temporarily a device within my network? It used to ask if you wanted to use that action.
    RC
  • CDM69CDM69 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    My boy will not listen,  how to temporarily stop a device within my network? It used to ask if you wanted to use that action.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,278
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @CDM69 , I'll start the conversation, though am sure others will chime in as well.  
    • Off the top of my head, and because you are in a Fing Forum, Fingbox is a product that can be used to deny network access to devices on your network and prevent new devices from joining if you so desire.  Its easy to use, has a comprehensive mobile app and really works well.  You can purchase one at Amazon...
    • Many routers support some type of parental control (or blanket blacklisting) which allows you to block devices either permanently, or via custom schedules.  Brands include Asus, Google, Linksys, Eero and a host of others.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Pixelpopper