Duplicates in device list

DavidFlintDavidFlint Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment
edited June 19 in Fing Desktop
Hi,
I am using Fing Desktop for Windows 10 (1.4.1) as well as Fing App (9.0.4) on my Android Smartphone. Both are logged in and sync with the same Fing account.

When I scan my home network either with the Win10 or Android app, fing creates duplicates of each device in the devices list. Devices with same IP, MAC, etc. are listed twice. It looks like that Fing creates an independent entry depending on which fing app (Win10 or Android) I use to scan and syncs this with my account. Scanning with Fing Desktop for example, the devices found by Android get greyed out. The same vice versa.

I would expect both apps to use the same entry in the devices list. They could easily be matched with the MAC address of the existing device in the list.
Any ideas how tho fix this?

Best regards,
Alex

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @DavidFlint
    It seems like both Fing Desktop and FIng app are scanning different frequencies of the network. The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. 

Please make sure all devices are connected to your access point on which the Fing App is currently connected to. If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DavidFlintDavidFlint Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi, thank you for the explanation. Indeed, I am using 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi with identical SSID / Password on the same access point. My Win10 PC with Fing Desktop is connected with an Ethernet connection and a 5 GHz Wifi-Bridge (AP500 device) to the Netgear Wifi access point /router. Netgear connects WAN.
    However, my Smartphone with Fing Android, also connected with 5 Ghz and same SSID like Win10 Fing, creates the duplicate. If I understand your explanation correctly, this set-up should not cause duplicates, as long as both devices run with the same Wifi frequency in the same network / wifi net?
    Does this behavior of Fing really make sense like this? I do not see a good point to see the same device with same name and MAC twice. Perhaps I need to register a second Fing account to avoid sync of devices list between Win10 and Android.
    admin
    edited July 13
    Hi @DavidFlint
    As I mentioned, if you device is able to connect to both frequencies then you might see the same device duplicated but only one will be active and other will be greyed out. This is to show that on which frequency the device is online. This is completely normal behavior for Fing.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DavidFlintDavidFlint Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

Hi, who cares how (for example) an Ethernet Switch is found in a network? It is the same device, it has no WiFi itself at all and it does not matter if a 2.4 or 5 GHz network is active somewhere and could be used to establish a connection through that switch... It is the same physical device. I do not understand that logic. There is no benefit to the user in my opinion.

If Fing thinks, it is a good idea to show duplicates, it should at least display somewhere the reason for the duplicate. To find the identical entry in the list twice confuses. I think there is a lot room for improvements.

I would not write to this forum if Fing would do its work in a reasonable way.

admin
    Thanks for the feedback @DavidFlint
    We can surely take this feedback as a suggestion and I will pass this on to our developers for review. Thanks again. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)