Device IP Nesting (For devices with multiple interfaces)

DavidF
DavidF Member Posts: 34
10 Comments 5 Answers First Anniversary 5 Agrees
✭✭
A feature I would like to see in all versions of Fing would be device nesting of some sort for devices that have multiple interfaces on the same network. Those interfaces would have unique MAQ addresses and may both receive IP Addresses. 
This happens mostly for devices that are connected both wireless and wired, but also for Access Points, servers, and some other items here or there (like my son's box one that is wired but still connects to wireless now and then for no particular reason). 
Ferlautonatejgardner
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @DavidF
    thanks for the suggestion. I will pass on this to our Dev team for consideration. For all other users who feel this would be beneficial, please click the 'Upvote' button. Thank you.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Ferlauto
    Ferlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin I think @DavidF's suggestion is simply a variation of the "Merge multiple MAC-addresses to one device" idea, which does have 13 upvotes thus far.

On the subject of merging, I was poking on Vanilla's website. They apparently have a "merge" function to combine similar discussions.  I thnk a consolidated view would do wonders for judging true feature demand and would make for a much less cluttered Fing Community. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Ferlauto said:
    @Robin I think @DavidF's suggestion is simply a variation of the "Merge multiple MAC-addresses to one device" idea, which does have 13 upvotes thus far.

On the subject of merging, I was poking on Vanilla's website. They apparently have a "merge" function to combine similar discussions.  I thnk a consolidated view would do wonders for judging true feature demand and would make for a much less cluttered Fing Community. 
    Thanks @[email protected]
    Yes, we are aware of the Merge feature and every now and then I use it to merge the similar posts together to keep the information under.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • natejgardner
    natejgardner Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Would like to also be able to automatically nest devices with randomized mac addresses. My laptop changes mac address at every boot, which just spams my device list with hundreds of devices with the same name.