Orange Flashing Light

euanaheuanah Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
I've had an orange flashing light on my fing now for a day and respite a reboot of the router, modem and fing nothing sorts the issue. Also changed the ethernet cable but no joy.
Anyone know why this might be happening? Got wifi from the router and an internet connection so bit strange

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @euanah
    Thanks for your post. There are two reasons for Fingbox going Offline(orange LED):

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP.

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to.

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline.

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this:

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • euanaheuanah Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    I've not got an outage and the cable should be fine as I've tried 2 or 3 and they are all brand new cat 6 cables.
    Asigned a Max Network Size and that's not made any difference either. 
    Would you have instructions on how to manually asign an IP address to the fing on a Mac? Apologies I know a bit about IT but don't work in IT so not 100% as to how you do it.
    Thanks
    admin
    Hi @euanah
    I have sent you a private email as I would need further information from you to guide you further. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Robin

Did you get my reply to your email?

Thanks

Euan

admin
    Yes @euanah
    I received it, I will check and reply to you from there. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment Photogenic

Great, thanks