How does one close these open ports Fingbox reported open on itself?

DetoorDetoor Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic

When in the Apps time zone settings does anyone else have these particular time zones listed to select from as seen in the pic below? I have a fingbox v1, and I’m not sure how to close ports on the device that is in charge of closing ports on the rest of the network.😳 I’m afraid these issues may be connected? Any thoughts?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• turbonemesisturbonemesis Posts: 3
    First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    Accepted Answer

One last word of advise based on everything I’ve learned from my own experiences with a super intelligent and highly determined hacker—use a vpn and watch out for evil twin networks. (Express vpn is a logless vpn I now use) If you use a vpn, you shouldn’t even have to worry about evil twin networks. Just to add a little context, WiFi pineapple’s are only like $200, but they are capable of rocking your whole world if in the wrong hands assuming you are not using a vpn. Good luck out there!

Detoor

Answers

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 144
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Those three port numbers may be required for the Fing box to function properly.
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Yup those are the exact ports used to connect and control your fingbox. You close those and you are stuck with a paperweight

• TXfree210TXfree210 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

These are universal as in, they're the same for everyone and unless you plan on hosting your own network, you shouldn't be worrying about these.

Https is your secure network.

Http is your public network.

Ftp is your file transfer protocol which if you had your own network, you may want closed but don't close it on the fing box.

Why did you get a Fing anyway? You can monitor your network without the device with your router and your PC/phone or even fing's app on your phone. This device is a glorified router with shiny buttons and pretty layouts.

I recommend you learn about your devices and networking more or get yourself an IT person who can monitor your network. You don't want to be posting your network information out on forums. Hackers are way smart and this is public post is just proof that you don't know what you're doing.. i.e. vulnerable to a clever hack

Sounds mean but I am Just warning you.

Marc
  • DetoorDetoor Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Fingbox never had ports open before. Got the fingbox to stop creepy guys from spying on me.

TXfree210
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,278
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Detoor, to be safe, turn off (disable) UPNP on your router, reboot the router and the Fingbox and see if it returns.  I don't have those ports opened on my V2 Fingbox, just 80 which it should as that's used for manual discovery.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ciaran
  • turbonemesisturbonemesis Member Posts: 3
    edited June 24

@Detoor’s original question was asking how to close the open ports. The answer is you have to do that within your wireless router’s admin dashboard under firewall settings. I would close port 21 if you are concerned about hacking. Port 80 and port 443 are required for you to browse the Internet essentially, if you close those then no websites will work. (Port 80 is http, port 443 is https)

I view Fing box mainly as just like a notification device, it lets you know when a new device connects to your network, it tells you if you have open ports, etc, but it’s not really like a full blown intelligent firewall other than you can set it up to not allow new devices to connect to your network without your approval, etc. People can still hack you without it even registering with your fing box is all I’m saying.

If you are truly concerned about someone hacking you, I’d start by getting setup with a password manager like 1Password. Trust me, I was a victim of a targeted attack myself. The hacker first got access to a few of my accounts by simply buying some of my old passwords and information off the dark web. (Something like 81 percent of targeted personal hacking is carried out this way, according to some government source, look it up if you are curious)

Essentially every website you have ever signed up to has a probability of your data getting hacked at some point. And so the more websites you sign up with and the more time that passes by, the more likely your information is for sale on the dark web somewhere. If you use the same passwords across multiple different websites, then guess what? The hackers targeting you can simply buy your old passwords off the dark web and work their way to get access to all of your accounts by simply taking over like an old backup email account and then going through the password reset workflow on any other account they may want to exploit. If you store all your passwords in chrome, then the hackers can work their way to get access to all your passwords simply by gaining access to your one google account.

2fa can prevent this, unless of course the hacker knows how to remotely clone/hijack your SIM card, like what happened to me—in which case you are f-d. Lol jk. In that case, you got to beef up the security around your phone internet login and lock your SIM card if that is the case—assuming it hasn’t already been tampered with—that and change all of your passwords and store them in a highly secure password manager like 1Password with unique random passwords for each website. 1Password is cool cuz it requires your master password and a secret token to get access, plus it logs all the ips, but they do a good job at making it still easy to use. (You only have to enter that info once normally per device) But yea, 1Password and changing your old passwords alone should get you most of the way there, keep in mind if they get access to your passwords, they can control your whole network and they can even access your phone over your network.

Detoor
  • turbonemesisturbonemesis Member Posts: 3

You can also check for a rat virus on your computer. You do this by installing good antivirus software and a good network monitor on your computer, (Little snitch, Objective-see, Norton) in addition to blocking all non essential ports on your router.

In my case, there was a rat virus even on my new computer, I only found it once I started locking down my outgoing connections on my computer via my norton firewall. The rat viruses are sophisticated enough these days to only make outbound web socket connections to the command and control server, rather than relying on inbound instructions, they do this to avoid detection. (Because for instance, the default Mac firewall only protects against incoming connections—not outbound connections)

I am only familiar with macs, but regardless of your operating system the concepts behind finding malware on your computer is largely the same. Essentially if you are able to monitor your network connections and block your open ports, and if you are able to find software that scans the locations of your operating system where software is persisted and re-ran after reboot, then you should be golden. If you own a Mac, check out the objective-see tools. They are free and they are some of the best I’ve found. The dude who made them is really smart. Essentially it looks for behaviors required of all malware rather than scanning your whole computer for specific malware checksums over and over again, but then it also evaluates everything it finds in the startup locations, etc, against checksums in the virus total database—so that way you get the best of both worlds. (objective-see.com/products.html)

But based on the ports your fing box is reporting being opened, I don’t think you have to worry about a rat virus or anything like that, those typically use higher ports like in the 6000+ range. But if I were you, I would at least change all your old passwords, ensure all unnecessary ports are closed in your router’s firewall, (as well as in your computers firewall for that matter) and then just solidify your base email and phone accounts, adding all the bonus security features to them that you can. (Add extra pin to login, lock your SIM card, make sure your critical accounts have 2fa, make sure your security questions are not easily guessable by anyone including even your own family—I think it was my brother who hacked me btw, etc) Anyways, hope this helps.

P.s. If you ever do need to evaluate an IP address you come across, ipinfo.io.

Detoor