Unknown device manufacturer

pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 60
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

I have a couple of Nanoleaf devices whose manufacturer is not listed in the device list. It is curious that the generic manufacturer of a chinese Wi-Fi switch appears but Nanoleaf does not appear.

Is there a way to manually identify them?

Best Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @pikatoste , what you are seeing is that Fing can not identify the device manufacturer but can figure out the Wifi adapter manufacturer.  This happens often enough with Fing.  If you click on the device and enter a description in the name field with some notes, it will help Fing's database to identify items like these in the future. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,121
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @pikatoste
    Our developers are already working on a better device recognition feature and as soon as there is an update, I will post on community in relation to this.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    pikatoste

Answers

• pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 60

I try to put the manufacturer of the device but I don't know how to save the information.

I can type it in the "Additional Notes" field but I only see the option to press the "back" button and upon returning to the device data this change is not saved. If I press the enter key on the keyboard, a new row is added but the data is not saved either.

✭✭✭✭✭✭

As your typing on the keyboard, you should see a button right above the keys called done. That should save it.

the below screen shot is from iOS and I am assuming android is similar.

Not on Android. At least on the Google keyboard.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor , @Pixelpopper , @rooted ...  Would any of you have the Fingapp on an android device and could you verify how you would enter additional notes etc for @pikatoste ?  Thanks...
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 762
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15

It automatically saves it on Android when you click back button but something is wrong and it's not saving it.

@Robin Could you check this out?

I just verified on an older revision it indeed saves the information you enter when pressing back.

This is likely a bug.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,121
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @rooted
    I just checked it. Once you enter the name, click on a different field as well like additional notes or something else and then go back and see if the name is saved or not. Anyways, with the new Fing app for Android already has major fixes which will make it faster than previous version.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

@Robin switching between different fields works. The changes are saved.

Additional notes is a field that developers will consider to include manufacturer data in future updates? Reflecting that information in the name of the device does not seem to me the best place since it is the criteria that I use to order my devices.