cant log in into my fing desktop

it keeps saying authentication failed

Answers

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you try the "Forgot Password" option?

• KEM
    KEM KansasMember, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments Photogenic

Me either. I tried every version released until about 2 weeks ago when I finally decided just to give up. It doesn’t work despite the fact I can log in to all of my iOS devices. The windows app is junk. Why on earth they don’t just have a login directly in the app instead of this crazy browser login and launch stuff is just ridiculous. I tried three different browsers and I’ve uninstalled the app completely, rebooted, and re-installed so many times I think I’ve worn out my keyboard and mouse. It’s junk and I’ve stopped recommending Fing since they can’t make a working Windows app for the product. My Domotz Pro works perfectly, I recommend that.

Sigh - KEM

• KEM
    10 Comments Photogenic

I should have also said I can log in to Fing using the browsers only, but never the junk Fing app.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,754
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited June 16, 2020 #5
    Hi @KEM
    Have you tried making different browser as your default browser and then try to log in to Fing Desktop? Fing agent needs the Windows libraries which are installed with the WinPcap package during FingDesktop installation, it used to make packet capture and filtering useful our engine to protocol analyzers and network monitors. 

Fing agent service cannot work properly without the correct installation of WinPcap.  

Please open the command prompt and return the output: 

• sc query npf 

it's useful to understand if the WinPcap has been installed correctly and it is running properly. 

If possible please uninstall the older version of WinPcap and install the latest version of Win10Pcap from here and check. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    KEM
  • KEM
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited June 16, 2020 #6

As I said I tried the different browsers after my normal default browser (Chrome) did not work. I had to change the default browser otherwise your poorly designed app would launch the wrong one to log in. I will try what you asked and report back with the results. Based on the information in your message I wonder if the Domotz Pro app is also installing the winpcap libraries and they are incompatible versions. As a developer I’ve had winpcap installed for years for a variety of network packet inspection software tools so it is likely this is related to our the cause of this issue. Having said that the app should allow you to log in to it directly without the use of a browser and if it detects an incompatible version of winpcap or anything alas it should display a meaningful error message or write it to a log that I could review. I will get back with the answer to the question ASAP.

Thanks! - KEM

• loteksys
    loteksys Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

I am able to login online and copy the magic link but the desktop app never is able to read the single sign on, so it goes back to the login screen.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @loteksys
    Have you tried making different browser as your default browser and then try to log in to Fing Desktop? Can you try to reboot the windows device and then check? if restarting PC haven't help to resolve this behaviour, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator): 

Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent 

Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • KEM
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited June 25, 2020 #9

I’ve done all of that as I have stated several times here. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to check my winpcap version before leaving town, I will try to get that posted here tonight

• KEM
    Robin_from_Fing
  • KEM
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I’m sorry for the long delay getting this info back to you.  I was away  and I’m just now finally getting back to this computer.  I should mention it is running Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center, not Windows 10.  Fing has updated to the current version 2 and I’m still unable to log in using either of the two methods offered in the browser(s) login page, here are the results of the command prompt you requested:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc query npf
    SERVICE_NAME: npf
            TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Despite the delay getting this back to you I really would like to have this working.  Also I did mention this before but the Domotz Pro Desktop App is running perfectly on this computer, I wonder if it is possible that there might be some incompatibility between these apps.  Just a thought since I’m running out of ideas.
    Thank you very much for your help and patience - KEM
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @KEM

Thanks for getting back. It seems like WinPcap might not be working properly. In this case, please follow these steps:  

• Uninstall WinPcap by using any 3rd party uninstaller to remove any traces of it.

• Uninstall Fing Desktop 

• Reboot pc 

• Download and Install latest Fing Desktop release.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • KEM
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I followed your instructions exactly and after that I still have the same problem, unable to get signed in.  I suspect something from winpcap didn’t get removed.  I’m going to investigate that.  Possibly a file from an old version is hanging around.  I appreciate your continued help so any other ideas you might have please send them along.

Sigh - KEM
  • loteksys
    loteksys Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Here's where it stops, then goes back to initial signon screen before I click my Google account login.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @KEM @loteksys
    Can you please remove the WinPcap by using either iobit uninstaller or revo uninstaller and then uninstall the Fing Desktop by using the same uninstaller so it doesn't leave the traces and after that reboot the device. Then install the Win10Pcap from here: http://www.win10pcap.org/ or install NpCap, whichever is fine and then install the Fing Desktop and then check.

Robin (Admin at Fing)