Inability to delete networks

NetworkWatcher
NetworkWatcher Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
Photogenic

is anyone else finding they can not delete a network from the Fing app? I several I want to delete but when I swipe and select delete I get and error saying failed to delete network. I am trying to delete networks that I scanned when I was experimenting, like a hotel network. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @NetworkWatcher (I'm on the Support Team here)
    Can you check if you have the latest version of the Fing App because our latest release already corrected this issue? Can you try to re-install the App and see if anything changes? Also, you can delete the network from Web App as well. To delete the network from the web app, please follow the steps:  

1) Sign in to the web app: (https://app.fing.com) 

2) On the Top left corner, click on the 'Fing' icon that will bring up the list of your networks. 

3) Please Click on the Network you want to delete and then on the top right corner, click on the 'Settings' and then you will see a list of options. 

4) Please click on the Delete this Network and then confirm 'Delete'. 

5) Go to Account Settings, then go to 'Account Storage' and then click on 'Synchronize' and then restart the phone. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    djs653
  • Ang
    Ang Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    5 Likes Founder Name Dropper First Comment
    ✭✭
    Hello @Robin, I have the same issue and am glad to see this discussion. I have consulted with Fing support about the problem in the past, and did in fact remove an old network from my Fing profile, but it has reappeared. I am usually accessing Fing from an iPad Pro running iOS 12.4.1 with Fing 8.3.1. I wasn’t able to re-delete the phantom network in iOS so I’ve just attempted to do so from the web client following the steps you’ve outlined here, to no avail, from Win 10 (I did del and re-install the iOS app before going to the web client) — the dialogue included a confirm message, I completed the delete but the old network remains. The options I have when attempting to del are: “delete this network,”  “merge with other networks” and “change alerts of all devices.” I chose delete and it seemed to complete the task but I am looking at both networks once again. I appreciate any ideas you may offer to resolve this issue.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @NetworkWatcher (I'm on the Support Team here)
    Can you check if you have the latest version of the Fing App because our latest release already corrected this issue? Can you try to re-install the Fing App and see if it works? Also, you can delete the network from Web App as well. To delete the network from the web app, please follow the steps:  

1) Sign in to the web app: (https://app.fing.com) 

2) On the Top left corner, click on the 'Fing' icon that will bring up the list of your networks. 

3) Please Click on the Network you want to delete and then on the top right corner, click on the 'Settings' and then you will see a list of options. 

4) Please click on the Delete this Network and then confirm 'Delete'. 

5) Go to Account Settings, then go to 'Account Storage' and then click on 'Synchronize' and then restart the phone. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepildjs653
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @NetworkWatcher just changing this thread into a question. Please choose a BEST ANSWER if @Robin solved things for you. Cheers

Community Manager at Fing

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Ang said:
    Hello @Robin, I have the same issue and am glad to see this discussion. I have consulted with Fing support about the problem in the past, and did in fact remove an old network from my Fing profile, but it has reappeared. I am usually accessing Fing from an iPad Pro running iOS 12.4.1 with Fing 8.3.1. I wasn’t able to re-delete the phantom network in iOS so I’ve just attempted to do so from the web client following the steps you’ve outlined here, to no avail, from Win 10 (I did del and re-install the iOS app before going to the web client) — the dialogue included a confirm message, I completed the delete but the old network remains. The options I have when attempting to del are: “delete this network,”  “merge with other networks” and “change alerts of all devices.” I chose delete and it seemed to complete the task but I am looking at both networks once again. I appreciate any ideas you may offer to resolve this issue.
    There was inconsistency on your account so I refreshed the connections from my side. Can you try to delete all the networks from the web app or iOS app and then make sure that you go to Account storage and then hit 'Synchronize' and then perform the scan again few times to make sure it is stable now. Usually, if the network has multiple access points and those access points have the same SSID but different network gateway then you will be able to see multiple networks with the same name on Fing App. In that case, Fing App is working fine.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Farid
    Farid Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hello @Robin,

I've been having this same problem for quite sometime and came by this thread today. I followed the recommendations above and I managed to delete the networks from the website which then sync to the app and get deleted there. However, I am still not able to delete them directly from the app. I signed out of the app, deleted it, reinstalled it, and restarted my phone but still am not able to delete them from the app. Please advise what else could be done to fix this issue?

Your help and support is highly appreciated.
    Thanks & Regards.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Farid said:
    Hello @Robin,

I've been having this same problem for quite sometime and came by this thread today. I followed the recommendations above and I managed to delete the networks from the website which then sync to the app and get deleted there. However, I am still not able to delete them directly from the app. I signed out of the app, deleted it, reinstalled it, and restarted my phone but still am not able to delete them from the app. Please advise what else could be done to fix this issue?

Your help and support is highly appreciated.
    Thanks & Regards.
    Can you try to re-install the latest version on all devices on which you are using the Fing App and then try to run the scan and delete the network? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Farid
    Farid Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hi @Robin,
    Did that again (8.7.0) but still it won't delete the networks from the app for some reason :(.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    edited December 17, 2019 #10
    Hi @Farid
    Have you tried deleting the networks from the Fing Web App? Does that work for you?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • theeflash1
    theeflash1 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I have the same problem... F£&KING

driving me nuts. All I want to do is delete my phone's Wi-Fi connection as it is open and vulnerable can someone help

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin

I have the same problem... F£&KING

driving me nuts. All I want to do is delete my phone's Wi-Fi connection as it is open and vulnerable can someone help

Are you trying to delete network identified by Fing app or you are trying to forget the wifi connection from your mobile device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)