"blank Desktop"

I've been having issues installing Fing Desktop, which Robin has helped me with.
However after a day of working the Fing desktop showed "Fing Service not found" . I removed the application & reinstalled and it worked fine.
But now the following day I have this. The service is still running & listening, but this is all I get on the home page (the report is blank). Notifications shows my last message (upon starting the desktop yesterday), Outages works & community links correctly. I'm loathe to reinstall Fing every day to make it work.
This is version 1.4.1,  as you can see from the screenshot

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,350
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tagging @Robin for visibility.  @crishog , if Robin helped you initially it might be best to get him involved on the followup.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,344
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks @Marc for the tag. @crishog Can you confirm it to me again if you were using MAC or Windows?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • crishogcrishog Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Photogenic
    This is a Dell running Windows 10. This morning it is back to "Fing Service not found", but the Fing Agent is running & listening on Port 48080
    admin
    Hi @crishog

Fing agent needs the Windows libraries which are installed with the WinPcap package during FingDesktop installation, it used to make packet capture and filtering useful our engine to protocol analyzers and network monitors. 
    Fing agent service cannot work properly without the correct installation of WinPcap.  

Please open the command prompt and return the output: 

• sc query npf 

it's useful to understand if the WinPcap has been installed correctly and it is running properly. 

If possible please uninstall the older version of WinPcap and install the latest version of Win10Pcap from here and check. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    BonBilly
  • BonBillyBonBilly Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @Robin thanks for your post as I was suffering from this issue also when I updated to 1.4.1on my Windows 10 desktop I updated WinPcap to the latest version and this has cleared the issue for me.
    Robin
    10 Comments Photogenic
    sc query npf
    SERVICE_NAME: npf
            TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
    STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq fingagent.exe"

Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
    ========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
    fingagent.exe                18508 Services                   0     10,456 K
    netstat -aon | find /i "listen" | find "48080"
      TCP    127.0.0.1:48080        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       18508
    I did follow your instructions once before & installed Winpcap 4.1.3 - what image name should it have? As I could not see it running.
    The oddity is that I install Fing & it all works, but the following day I get the blank desktop, as if something is stopping. Given that I can see the agent & it is listening on the correct port, could it be that WinPcap is being stopped by something?

• BonBillyBonBilly Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    hi @crishog I installed npcap as I couldn't be sure of the release date of winpcap 4.1.3 is/was and Win10 isn't listed and that winpcap is no longer supported according to the link that Robin posted.
    The WinPcap project has ceased development and WinPcap and WinDump are no longer maintained. We recommend using Npcap instead.
    I do have to admit though I have only done this today, I believe this has most likely fixed my issue but I only have about 8 hours of uptime to go on, I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

admin
    Thanks @BonBilly
    You can install the WinPcap from here as well for Windows 10 and it will work: http://www.win10pcap.org/
    Please make sure to uninstall WinpCAp and then uninstall Fing Desktop and then install this package.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I used the ncap as suggested by @BonBilly (I should have thought to followw the link to the new software, but as I was pointed at WinpCap it intially stuck with it) - a bit of a delay in replying because my PC has upgraded to the latest windows in the middle of this & it usually takes a day or so before Fing stops finding the agent.

So far it seems to be working. Thanks for the assistance
    Robin