Network is unhealthy, so how do I delete extra access points (edited on 6-10-20)

ezzzlivenezzzliven Member Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
I'm having connectivity issues along with "unhealthy network" and the problem is real and not Fing related.  I've read a few of the other discussions going on but those problems seem much bigger than mine, I think my problem is probably fairly easy for the guys & gals here but time will tell.  I've had this problem for many months now.  I used to know computers back in the DOS days but I haven't kept up and my knowledge about networks is worse.  Several times in my HP Printer diagnose report it has said I have 23 access points. At the time of seeing this warning I didn't want to try to delete them in case of having to do something else first.  I haven't seen that warning lately but it only showed up in my iPhone Fing app.  Something else, it mentioned my DHCP was not working correctly probably due to the number of things on my network.  I had 43 devices connected to it.  Last time I changed my network I went with Comcast and I use their router now and I only connected a few of my devices to see if that helped but sadly it didn't and Comcast hasn't been any help at all.  If anyone thinks they could help I would really appreciate it
PS  One other thing I had an Open port that I called Comcast to close so they say it's closed but Fing says I still have an open port, so I called Comcast and they assured me it's closed.  Everyweek I get Intrusion alerts that someone is trying to hack my network.  Most of the hits are at my Dish Hopper but also my tablet and phones which lead me to believe my network is very vulnerable.

Best Answer

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 135
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That is a good scan, of your router. Only 3 ports are open, and those ports should be open. Ports 53, 80, and 443 are needed for the computers/devices on your network, to access the Internet. That is an excellent scan.

To check for open ports, on the Internet side of your router, go to https://www.grc.com. Once there, at the top, look for "Services", hover over it, with your mouse, and click on "ShieldsUp!". Click the "Proceed" button, on the next page. On the new page, under "ShieldsUp! ! Services", click the "All Services Ports" button. It will, then, run a check of the first 1056 ports, against your router. "Stealth" is the best check, and that is what you hope to get. If your router gets "stealth", then all is good. That means there are no open ports, from the "Internet side of your router. The "Internet" side is where hackers would try to find open ports (ways) into your router. If you get "stealth", then they shouldn't be able to get in.

When you use the Fing app, for checking for open ports, you are checking on the "internal" or your home network side of your router. You will find open ports on your devices, and it is ok. As long as those ports aren't open on the "Internet" side, too, you should be ok.

As for DHCP, most routers allow you to select how many IP Addresses it will give out. For example, I have my router set to 50, for now. As you seem to have 43 devices connected, you may want to check your router settings. If your is set to 50, see if you can change it to 75 or 100, and see if Fing stops giving the "DHCP unhealty" message.
    ezzzliven

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @ezzzliven
    Thanks for your post. I am sure our moderators @kltaylor @Marc @rooted @Pixelpopper can guide you better.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    PS  One other thing I had an Open port that I called Comcast to close so they say it's closed but Fing says I still have an open port, so I called Comcast and they assured me it's closed.  Everyweek I get Intrusion alerts that someone is trying to hack my network.  Most of the hits are at my Dish Hopper but also my tablet and phones which lead me to believe my network is very vulnerable.
    @ezzzliven a screen shot of your problem would be useful also, this site will allow you to test your network remotely for open ports.... https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 . Service providers often keep a port open so they can initiate automatic firmware upgrades so that might be the case here. It’s definitely worth checking before we progress.
  • ezzzlivenezzzliven Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    I couldn't run that link no matter how I tried, it says it won't allow the browser to reload for safety purposes.
    I'm going to search for the open port again thru Fing
    So do I just post a link here in the comments section for the screenshot of my system?
    Thank You
    First Comment Photogenic
    I asked Fing to look for open ports from one of my computers, so I'm not sure if I did it right.  I use the IP from this computer and it came back to 2 open ports
    Port 139 netbios-ssn
    Port 445 microsoft-ds
    This may show my ignorance concerning networking.
    First Comment Photogenic

I ran the Find open port on my iPhone Fing app

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    @ezzzliven As you are using port forwarding that is why the port is open. It could of course, be configured by your isp. Sorry about the link, try www.grc.com and go to the “spinrite” page to test your ports from an external source. It’s also a very good security site.
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hello again Pixelpopper, I went to the Grc page and listened to the video about Spinrite and read the accompanying text but it seemed to me it was all about hard drives and patters and that type of stuff, not to mention the $90 costs and I didn't have clue what I was reading,  So I looked over the site and found a free DNS tool which is I think is about the only relevant thing to do with ports but again it only works with Win-95 - Win 7 and all my machines are Win-10 and 2 with Win-8 so I'm not sure what to do here.....
    I don't remember using port forwarding and don't see it if I am using it,  what else can we do at this point?
    I remember seeing somewhere that my Dhcp was to crowded or something like that and their are to many access points but If I'm right you think we have to resolve the port issue first? If that's right I'm going to need baby steps due to my inability and knowledge of the subject.  Here is another Port test I just ran and I believe it to be accurate.  Please don't get made at my inability to get some of this stuff done, it's just over my head. Thanks again for your patience.