Internet Povider

JomeJome Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
When I sign in to my Fing desktop it is showing an internet provider that I do not use? Can someone help me with this?
Thanks

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,278
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jome , according to @Robin from Fing, the following is used for detection...

For ISP name detection,  Fing uses GEOIP2 City Database API by MaxMind and they update their database every week. If the Fing App shows a different ISP name rather than what you use, it is because the same name is picked up GEOIP2 City Database. The ISP name is identified based on the public IP address by Fing App and then it is matched against the GEOIP2 City Database API. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • cryptoknightcryptoknight Member Posts: 9
    First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    @Marc is correct about Fing's usage of MaxMind's GEOIP2 City Database.  What you're seeing is likely affiliated with the "p
    To see MaxMind's results (which should be how Fing "sees" them), you can go to MaxMind's GeoIP page to see the geolocation metadata associated with your IP Address.

( ## Related:  ##
    1. DDG results of the Electronic Frontier Foundation's articles on geolocation privacy: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aeff.org+geolocation&t=brave&df=y&ia=web
    2. "How to find your IP address" from online-tech-tips.com
    )
    That's the good thing about opinions... they don't have to be backed up with facts.
    Robin
  • cryptoknightcryptoknight Member Posts: 9
    First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    @Marc is correct about Fing's usage of MaxMind's GEOIP2 City Database.  What you're seeing is likely affiliated with the public IP address of the network you connect to the internet with.

To see MaxMind's results (which should be how Fing "sees" them), you can go to MaxMind's GeoIP page to see the geolocation metadata associated with your IP Address.

( ## Related:  ##
    1. DDG results of the Electronic Frontier Foundation's articles on geolocation privacy: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aeff.org+geolocation&t=brave&df=y&ia=web
    2. "How to find your IP address" from online-tech-tips.com
    )
    That's the good thing about opinions... they don't have to be backed up with facts.