Anyone here using Akita? Feedback? Thoughts on Akita?

GroutyGrouty Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 30 in Devices & Security
Hi everyone,
I've ended up with a device called Akita. It's another device to plug into my router with a promise of improved security. I already have a Fingbox which works really well for me. I especially like the internet connection/dropout monitoring. I'm wondering if anyone can explain whether the Akita just duplicates the functions of the Fingbox or if it is somehow complimentary. I haven't plugged it in yet and I guess I need to ask if the 2 devices can even work together. 

Any advice will be gratefully received. Many thanks. Grouty. 

[Bugger! Posted in the wrong area. So sorry. Hopefully @violetchepilcan move it for me.]
VioletChepilkltaylorRobinCiaran

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    Ah yes I've just done and move that one for you. :) I've got no direct experience with the Akita device so lets see what other members can offer too! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akita is more of a Firewall device so it should be OK to add. That said, I've not heard too many good things about the device either...
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    kltaylor
    As long as it allows the opened ports required should be good!
    Required port info:

If you want to limit outbound connections and still ensure minimum functionality, make sure to allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671.

In addition, the ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003.

kltaylor
  • MetawatchMetawatch Member Posts: 3
    Akita plugs in -In parallel- (Not Inline) so it is not a firewall per say (They have the capability to disable device access from the WIFI (Devices) to the LAN/WAN it appears at this time, on a per device basis . They are extremely secretive about their functionality (Signature Identification), and emphasize their remote service for problem management over that of specific identification of problem details to the user. A very much in development device. The best overall description can be found here...

https://akita.cloud/faq - Look for the items identified as  "Need Help to Fix it" to identify what they are currently protecting against. In addition at this time they are supposedly only protecting WIFI  (IOT) devices and connectivity devices with the intent to add lan based device(s) later. They do not specify how they disable devices but I suspect it is ARP Spoofing like Fing...or other.... Their system allows for virtually no user controls at this time, and all detailed information about their (problem identification ) require a further  Advanced Protection Subscription". What is also VERY interesting, is their device is initially identified by FING as a Gateway device, yet they claim, they are not a gateway (Investigating this with them NOW), and do not perform Deep Packet Inspection to perform their services. .... Their APP provides 2 user accessible screen sections, one showing alerts (Very Limited) the other a list of devices & Access Points installed on the network sorted by IP address with IP & MAC Address and manufacturer (Not user editable at all)...I would call this an Alpha release as the screen even has data overlap between the IP and MAC Fields on my iPhone. They seem to be using another persons (Web Site) security Checklist as their to do list...https://akita.cloud/security-checklist......

They tout themselves as an Intrusion Prevention System (But are also not inline), and do not use Deep Packet Inspection...Difficult to know how much of their kickstarter project claims have been implemented at this time..Also claim to be able to clear viruses from devices, but I assume this is with their paid service only. As it stands, without a detailed functional  signature identification listing, its impossible to know if it is a brick on my network or actually looking out for thousands of possible "Bad Signatures" of viral like activity. I do know that they are also developing a learned Good Signature listing from IOT devices (End Users) and others, but again not enough info to position where they are at this point. Since it is a free lifetime subscription for the "Identification" process as time progresses and if they succeed it will provide a much needed IPS service for IOT based devices that could potentially be hacked/used to control themselves in a bad way or virtually flood your network with viruses or DOD attacks....I bought this device as I found a Camera I bought on Alibaba was "secretly" connecting to a Chinese university firewall as well as about 10 other IP's around the world...Rather than my analyzing traffic from all my device(s) myself via router logs, this product is supposed to separate the good from the bad, and let you know...

Gidsterkltaylor
    @Grouty this is an interesting thread! I'm thinking we move this back to Device/Security category and modify the title to:
    "Anyone here using Akita? What is your feedback on the Akita device?" That way I can promote it and we can get more feedback from other members using Akita. Is that OK for you @Grouty? Let me know! 

kltaylor
  • GroutyGrouty Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Moving this would be fine with me. I've not actually plugged my Akita in. I'm traveling a lot for work and need to spend some time at home setting this up. Inevitably something that I have working will break when I plug this in so I'm just being cautious.

Hearing about other people's experiences might persuade me to finally bite the bullet - or otherwise.

VioletChepilkltaylor
    Ok great! I've adjusted this and promoted. Lets see what others experience are too ^^ :smile:

kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭
    As what @Pooh said, the only time that I've heard the name Akita is with power tools.  With that said, a firewall is never a bad thing to add to your structure, consumer or business.  Get to know the device and how it functions prior to implementing it, or you may have sleepless nights ahead of you. =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
    Akita plugs in -In parallel- (Not Inline) so it is not a firewall per say (They have the capability to disable device access from the WIFI (Devices) to the LAN/WAN it appears at this time, on a per device basis . They are extremely secretive about their functionality (Signature Identification), and emphasize their remote service for problem management over that of specific identification of problem details to the user. A very much in development device. The best overall description can be found here...

https://akita.cloud/faq - Look for the items identified as  "Need Help to Fix it" to identify what they are currently protecting against. In addition at this time they are supposedly only protecting WIFI  (IOT) devices and connectivity devices with the intent to add lan based device(s) later. They do not specify how they disable devices but I suspect it is ARP Spoofing like Fing...or other.... Their system allows for virtually no user controls at this time, and all detailed information about their (problem identification ) require a further  Advanced Protection Subscription". What is also VERY interesting, is their device is initially identified by FING as a Gateway device, yet they claim, they are not a gateway (Investigating this with them NOW), and do not perform Deep Packet Inspection to perform their services. .... Their APP provides 2 user accessible screen sections, one showing alerts (Very Limited) the other a list of devices & Access Points installed on the network sorted by IP address with IP & MAC Address and manufacturer (Not user editable at all-UPDATE : Latest release 3.24.4 now allows for users to modify the device name)...I would call this an Alpha release as the screen  has data overlap between the IP and MAC Fields on my iPhone. Security Checklist can be found here ...https://akita.cloud/security-checklist......but is not IOT device specific.

They tout themselves as an Intrusion Prevention System (But are also not inline), and do not use Deep Packet Inspection...Difficult to know how much of their kickstarter project claims have been implemented at this time..Also claim to be able to clear viruses from devices, but I assume this is with their paid service only. As it stands, without a detailed functional  signature identification listing, its impossible to know if it is a brick on my network or actually looking out for thousands of possible "Bad Signatures" of viral like activity. I do know that they are also developing a learned Good Signature listing from IOT devices (End Users) and others, but again not enough info to position where they are at this point. Since it is a free lifetime subscription for the "Identification" process as time progresses and if they succeed it will provide a much needed IPS service (for IOT based devices that could potentially be hacked/used to control themselves in a bad way or virtually flood your network with viruses or DOD attacks....) I bought this device as I found a Camera I bought on Alibaba was "secretly" connecting to a Chinese university firewall as well as about 10 other IP's around the world...Rather than my analyzing traffic from all my device(s) myself via router logs, this product is supposed to separate the good from the bad, and let you know...

VioletChepilkltaylorWim
    Thanks @Metawatch for the very detailed and comprehensive response! 

kltaylorMetawatch
  • BrettFBrettF Member Posts: 1
    I was an early backer of the Akita. It's presently sitting in a box on a shelf.
    It was online for about a week when I received the first "status" of my network - the details of which were scarce to say the least and naturally they want to upsell subscriptions.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • joltdudejoltdude Member Posts: 19
    edited October 4
    Akita uses ARP Poisoning or the more euphemistic (sounding) ARP Spoofing to act as a firewall/proxy/filter... I talked with them and in general walked away. Didn't give me many answers to my questions .. Something didnt seem right and thought that it would be unsuitable for my purposes... Have heard better reviews and actually had technical presales conversations with some of their competition such as Cujo (which seems to have left the consumer space) and Bitdefender Box and even Firewalla...  They are not the first to this space... Even Circle (Disney) was not the first to this space.... There was a device called the Adtrap..... (sigh) ... 
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • WimWim Member Posts: 1
    edited October 19
    I have an AKITA inside my network for a month now. I get weekly reports about vulnerabilities in my  network (like open ports in the router) but also about weak passwords of my WiFi mesh (it knows because it asked me to give it) and it detected default credentials for port 80 on a managed switch. Which I didnt know because the device has a proprietary app and does not mention port 80 in the manual. So Akita pokes your IoT's.
    For answers and solution it always points to their faq list on the server and never gives specifics of a solution.
    When you add a new IoT device to their database and include the default credentials of that device, you get loyalty points for that. What those are, I don't know yet. As for now it is dark blue object with a blinking green light on my desk. I still don't know what it does and how often. Weekly reports are nice for my solar panels. But not for network security. And I have a subscription for this month only.
    BTW I backed both Fing and AKITA at roughly  the same time. AKITA arrived a month ago,
    Fing is my great help in home automation and network management for a year now. It found double ip's, stopped a nasty neighbour kid trying to use my WiFi and assisted me in configuring the switches.
    Big chance AKITA goes to my museum of cool looking useless artefacts.

VioletChepil
    Oh thanks for that update @Wim!
    I don't feel so bad about the delay then. We were a few months delayed! But glad to see we were not that delayed. It was definitely a very big and huge effort from the team to remain as close as possible to the promised delivery schedule. 

Wim
    After a brief conversation with the CEO/Co Founder Igor Rabinovitch  , and reviewing in more detail their HighIOT whitepaper and Guardian program the details of the platform and its use are now evident. 
    Initial sponsors of Kickstarter & Indiegogo, as denoted above, are part of the initial signature collection group that allows for the building of the Blockchain based signature profiles database. Loyalty points are assigned for any new signature discovered, and any time it is subsequently used by the user community. (Interesting concept) - Crowd-based support.- Still early days, but from the conversation I had with the CEO it appears there is a lot more information coming in the immediate future. I.E. The Akita is a crowdfunded, and Crowd sourced information collection methodology, as well as protection service. Down the road, the loyalty points program will provide benefits to the early adopters (As yet undefined)
    VioletChepil