Fing claims "Not connected to Internet" & "Gateway is not healthy" yet here I am.

Hello,
As the subject says, Fingdesktop claims "Not connected to Internet" & "Gateway is not healthy" (Health check code: N40F-N801) but I can get to the Internet, including this forum, with no issues. 
I suspected a new block must be in place to whatever Fing uses to make these connectivity/health checks. Disabling Bitdefender A/V had no effect, so I don't think it is that.
Fing even runs the ISP speed test just fine and yet still reports "Not connected to Internet" & "Gateway is not healthy"
Fing on Android on the same access point reports no issues at all.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
KaulfurstDavidF

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @DavidAUM thanks for asking your question.
    I am receiving the same issue on my Fing app on Windows 10, looking at the number of new questions it seems to be an issue that several people are receiving.  Will bring this to the attention to the admin @Robin and see if we can start troubleshooting it.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    BramBoyScoobyFerlautopedal999
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi All,
    An update for the reported issue:
    Our developers are investigating some issue happened after the last release of mobile apps. There is an unusual load on our servers that is saturating the resources. And because of this Fing desktop has started to send false alarms.

Today as a workaround we will tune the config to try to make the server keep up but the issue on the mobile apps is under investigation.
    I hope it helps. And soon as there is some more update I will let you know.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• DerrickDerrick Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 3
    Been seeing this issue since early versions (BETA Actually) but never got around to writing in.  Now today I wanted to look at Fing Desktop to see if a certain device was listed and it won't even show me the "last" list because it cannot reach the Internet.  Which is Phooey because I just got done pinging Google, Yahoo and Amazon - streaming music from YouTube and Spotify and browsing a plethora of things on Amazon Shopping ... yet Fing still says I have no Internet.  So now I need to revert to using one of my old standby network scanners to get me the data I need.  Don't know if this is a bug or some anomaly this is only affecting MY machine - but its very annoying and makes me question the Fing Desktop App's worth if it can't even recognize there is a WORKING Internet connection.   And before lots of inquiries:
    I employ a static IP address with a class C subnet
    My DNS server is fine with redundancy
    My Ethernet adapter is only using IPv4
    I'm not using a proxy, nor a VPN.  All traffic (I initiate) is permitted to and from my PC
    Only one Ethernet adapter
    Hardwired connection to Enterprise class Gigabit router

@Robin ??
  • DerrickDerrick Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    One other point ... why won't it scan my local network if the "Internet" is down?  What purpose does the WAN have on my local network nodes?  I think this is an oversight on the developers part... local devices don't even require DNS resolution as they are reporting IP addresses.  As far as trying to guess the device type or MAC vendor - that should be disregarded if there is no Internet or WAN detected.
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Derrick thanks for asking your question.
    I've run into an issue from time-to-time where my connection can show that I do not have internet but in-fact, I am browsing without issue.
    "I employ a static IP address with a class C subnet
    My DNS server is fine with redundancy
    My Ethernet adapter is only using IPv4
    I'm not using a proxy, nor a VPN.  All traffic (I initiate) is permitted to and from my PC
    Only one Ethernet adapter
    Hardwired connection to Enterprise class Gigabit router"
    What DNS are you using, exactly?  That could be part of the issue in how the computer is attempting to validate that you have access to the web.
    Curious though, does the connection piece resolve if you use DHCP instead of a static IP?  It shouldn't matter, but I've seen when it does and I scratch my head a lot on that too.
    Given that you're using an Enterprise Class router, an issue could also be listed in there.  If you want to DM me the make and model, as I have experience with business-class firewalls and security devices, maybe we can figure this out together.

Ciaran
  • cagouillecagouille Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Fing (1.3.2 for desktop) says i have connectivity problems ! But all is fine out of Fing.
    Thanks for reading ... and more ;)

admin
    Hi @cagouille
    Thanks for your post. Can you share what kind of connectivity problems are you getting? Also, next to the problem or warning there is a question mark icon which explains the warning and a option to mute the warning as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hi @Robin,
    I recently installed Fing for desktop (windows10). Each time i lunch it, it says i have connectivity problem, i am not connected to internet. That's wrong.
    I'm using this connexion to discuss with you.

admin
    Thanks @cagouille
    Can you tell me which Fing Desktop version are you using? Also, Can you click on the version number from the Fing App and then disable the notification option. The alert comes up when the device goes to sleep mode and internet is not being used so get temporarily disconnected.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • ArjailerArjailer Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 5
    I get this all the time too - every time I bring my macbook out of sleep Fing reports connection "problems" because the wifi takes a few seconds to reconnect (which is perfectly normal for this laptop).

I've disabled the desktop notifications (far too many false alarms), but Fing still records these redundant "disconnections"

It's not a huge deal, but it feels like Fing is being the boy that cried wolf - if it ever finds genuine problems it'll probably be ignored amongst all the noise.
    Version 1.3.2
    Ok i desabled the notification option.
    Thanks !

• BaanistaBaanista Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    Fing Desktop on a MacBook Pro has N40F-N801 error. (Gateway not healthy, not connected to internet)
    But internet connection is just fine. Immediately after doing a manual refresh on the Fing desktop and getting not connected to internet, I ran the Fing speedtest and got excellent times!
    I have started using NextDNS with their recommended block list so I wondered if that was the problem. Checking my NextDNS log after doing a manual refresh on the Fing desktop I am not seeing any blocked domains so maybe NextDNS isn't the issue.
    Since everything seems to be running fine, I will just ignore Fing for now. Still I remain curious.
  • momcat1momcat1 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    I'm seeing reports from the Fing desktop app as described in the question above, N40F, N801. Yet, I am connected to the internet, getting respectable speeds. I am at a loss as to why this is happening, but after receiving this again today, I again rebooted modem, router and SamKnows box. I've been WFH for the past 3 months, and I must admit, it's only been getting worse. I have a rule set on the router to reboot once a week, just to keep things clean, but most days I will get to a point, and the modem will either freeze up or reboot. When I check the modem page, you can see a lot of accumulated corrected and uncorrected errors, which clear out after the reboot. I can also confirm that when the connection does freeze up, it's not just me, since I can see the firehouse and farm's wifi, as well as the ISP's hotspot in the street go down at the same time. It's not as easy as calling the cable company, since I own my own modem and they will have nothing to do with it. This is because I have had past problems with the cable company when it was their modem. I suspect that there is a problem at the pole, like a failing tap, but they will not come out and look at it unless I pay them for an in home visit after which they are supposed to ask for an outside plant visit if the tech thinks it's needed. The line that comes into the home office is just a cable through the wall that connects directly to the modem, no splitters. There are 3 other lines in the house, but since we cancelled TV service 3 years ago, I terminated each and every one of them, so they could not accuse me of leakage. I periodically check the terminations myself to make sure the connections are tight. I can confirm that my modem, router and SamKnows box are all connected properly. 
    I captured the report from FIng and it's here: 
    Fing query E87A1ACBF12B009C
    Does any of this ring a bell, and what is the solution?
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Do you happen to have two routers by chance?  (e.g. Your Gateway is a combination modem & router and you purchased another separater router)
    No, I don't. I have an Arris SB6183 modem, and a D-Link COVR-2600R Mesh router.
    Ferlauto
  • DavidAUMDavidAUM Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
    I have the same error this morning.
    Windows 10. 
    I am using Cloudflare DNS.
    ISP gets ID'd just fine (Cox) and speed test looks great.
    N40F-N801 error persists.
    I thought maybe Bitdefender added a block, but disabling it produced no change.

Odd - as I typed this - Fingdesktop reported "All good" and then went right back to the N40F-N801 error.

Strange.
    First Comment Photogenic
    Duplicate Post
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No, seems as though there is an issue with that as I am experiencing that as well.  This has been brought up to the admin group for them to research on as soon as possible.
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.  
    Good that you terminated all the coax lines.  Takes that out of the equation.
    As much as a pain as this may be, have you tried any to connect straight to the modem and / or directly to the main D-Link via node via Ethernet so you're taking as much out of the equation as posible?
    On the human side of things, do you know anyone at the farm and /or firehouse?  If your assumptions are correct, then if you're having a problem, they should be having a problem.  If all of you coordinate, you should trip the statistics to get them send someone out and climb up the pole. Three squeaky wheels should get some grease.
    I haven't connected ethernet direct in the past few days, needing at least 2 laptops online all day long. OK, so here's the funny part: Right now, while typing this reply, I got another popup from the Fing app, reporting that everything is OK. This is the most maddening part - nothing changes yet now it's OK and an hour ago it wasn't.
    Haven't contacted firehouse or farm, that's hubby's realm. And he's not technically literate, wants nothing do with it, just make it work. Also the firehouse is volunteer, so most times no one is there. But their wifi blasts loud and clear until it goes down. The ISP should take some responsibility here as well, but they truly don't care if their own hotspots even work.
    Honestly the ISP should also be well aware there's been a problem. Their service trucks pass by my house daily, sometimes several, and sometimes the guy who likes to park at the firehouse to have his lunch. Approaching them is useless, they don't want to talk to anyone unless you have an appointment, and then there's Covid. We're still in lockdown.
    Ferlauto
    ✭✭✭
    A few thoughts:
    1: Document everything.  I mean keeping a logbook of your problems and interactions with your cable company.  The more evidence you gather, the more power you will have.  Contacting the BBB, your local consumer affairs, etc. can work, if you're prepared.  No organization likes this kind of attention. 
    2: Firefighters love food.  When the time is right, bringing over some food would be a great way to make their acquaintance.  Strength in numbers.  
    3: You should still be able to get some level of support if you have a supported modem.  The ownership of the device should not matter.
    Horrible that you have such bad service.  Never had anything like this with Verizon.
    Oh, I see you're in New York too. I have Optimum, does that explain it? It's been far worse since Altice took over, and all the techs I used to call were either let go, or voluntarily left. Yes, I have a supported modem but all they want to do is put their 'magic wonder box' on it, which has been documented for a couple of years as nothing but problems. And now they charge us a mandatory 'network enhancement fee', which is around when everything got worse. Town does not want anything to do with it, since right before Altice got involved, they signed a 15 year renewal agreement. We don't have local consumer affairs in this County. Used to be when it got like this I would call my contact in Outside Plant, he would look at it, and then change the tap at the pole. But he's gone, and I'm stuck with the Customer Service queue, who doesn't know anything about tech.
    Thanks for listening, anyway. I just thought it was wierd for Fing to pick up a problem, then release it. Have a nice weekend.
    Ferlauto
  • stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Today I've seen the same thing with the desktop fing app telling me I've no internet and my gateway isn't healthy.  All is actually working great!  And the iPad app indicates all is well.  Seems a problem with the desktop app.
  • MigMunozMigMunoz Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I get the same thing every so often. Looking forward to someone identifying what this is
  • macbikegeekmacbikegeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Getting the same thing - Fing seems to be hyper-sensitive to something or just wrong.
    Arjailer
  • PWTCCPWTCC Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    I have a Digital Reflection Panel device that when I connect it to a good network, it creates about 24 false routers.  It also slows my connection to the internet.  Only about 30Mbyte down and the up is still good at 11.8 MB.  Before a thunder storm it performed unseen on the network.  Now it just interferes.  I'm contacting them next week for a new unit.
  • max2198max2198 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited June 6
    I am getting the same Error on the Fing desktop app windows 10 i disabled windows firewall and error goes away manually add a rule to the windows firewall
    momcat1
  • kaareskaares Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm getting it in Norway too. I'm in a Google wifi using Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS. It seems to be an issue outside our control.
  • BramBoyBramBoy Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Today I've seen the same thing with the desktop fing app telling me I've no internet and my gateway isn't healthy.  All is actually working great!  And the iPad app indicates all is well.  Seems a problem with the desktop app.
    Same here
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
    I have the same error this morning.
    Windows 10. 
    I am using Cloudflare DNS.
    ISP gets ID'd just fine (Cox) and speed test looks great.
    N40F-N801 error persists.
    I thought maybe Bitdefender added a block, but disabling it produced no change.

Odd - as I typed this - Fingdesktop reported "All good" and then went right back to the N40F-N801 error.

Strange.
  • stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Seems there's a significant delay in the desktop's interaction with external networks.  About an hour or so later it reported all was well.