Network Diagram

dstrohldstrohl Member Posts: 5
First Comment
✭✭
I would love to see a network diagram showing connectivity to and between switches and wifi.  I have 7 network switches around the house due to the layout of the house.  it's really helpful to see things grouped that way when troubleshooting so I can immediately see that everything that is down is behind a specific run or switch.
FerlautozayfevcayenneSlivermeblasterdaddydynvorBonBillyGwynhAzeleYeeZguhammepwmeekCrazyHickFreerkDonaldCDunKnuffelcaptsamxpeetxABADLeisureAvidNetJunkiemacyadminWolfje63slubmanDaveMacMedixcesarlaforetW_T_FArijitGeeklordSolarscholsRobsuchBatterBitsFdCbhengelCversDanEarmanLilmiss_S_bell44VlaykeDmaxmdRagonTHebrews12v2CzarMarkRGSToweriCaneusPaul_HutchdcpaintDenis_sheadp6t9camaroNaiveIsopodRomuluscjamiesonHyjes666tebashamnozerokyleobrienza4400jimPablomDonAdamsMadTonyjwwoolMajeedCrazycat4360jamzmJohnPMSalcommashevloffthicandidoAKWillowsKenvCliveMRob_GLong_John_SliverFingVoltroaldpedal999Agudendtubbsjean_lucBrsk0rp10Ksalnonuclear_redaihometechtCk_EnterprisesSchakalSilverbellyiliasrhcage2CourtneydogCspryteRWildmyodiskScooby8199Tspixn658
95 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @dstrohl
    thanks for the suggestion. I will pass on this to our Dev team for consideration. For all other users who feel this would be beneficial, please click the 'Upvote' button. Thank you.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Vangaurd3GetOffMyLawnSunshine30StockdaleVFWCA18GALJackItCk_Enterprisesrhcage2
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    @Robin - I'd add that if this is not feasible directly, having an plug-in / extension architecture that would allow this is another possible option.  
    RobinGetOffMyLawnSunshine30tCk_Enterprises
  • GwynGwyn Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    excellent idea - it was just what I was thinking ! 
    GetOffMyLawn
  • MajeedMajeed Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Exactly what I want too. There used to be a program called "Network Magic" which was bought by Cisco and then disappeared. That had exactly what I wanted, a graphic representation of the network. I used it frequently and it was...Brilliant.
    GlennrhclintonCzarMarkLong_John_SliverGwynrhcage2
  • Kwray69834Kwray69834 Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    yes I would find this an excellent improvement. 
    rhcage2
  • GeeklordGeeklord Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

On a basic level I found it really useful to map out all my equipment locations and distances when I renovated to figure out how best to organise an manage everything.

On a more advanced level it could be useful to troubleshoot or provide some best practice guidance about how and where to locate equipment.

rhcage2
  • rhclintonrhclinton Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Majeed said:
    Exactly what I want too. There used to be a program called "Network Magic" which was bought by Cisco and then disappeared. That had exactly what I wanted, a graphic representation of the network. I used it frequently and it was...Brilliant.
    I remember Network Magic very well.  It was an excellent tool.  It's disappearance is a cautionary tale:  If you are a small company with a useful product and then sell it out to an industry giant, be prepared for (a)the new marketing department to modify it to the point of uselessness, and then (b) for the product to disappear entirely.  Fing, take notice.

Robert
    MajeedLong_John_Sliver
  • RomulusRomulus Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I have exactly the same need, I have resorted to a spreadsheet with numbered ports on switches and what is connected to where but a diagram would be so much better!
  • vcayennevcayenne Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Fing bears some relation to Domotz, which I believe does have a feature to diagram the monitored network...
  • jamzmjamzm Pittsburgh, PA, USAMember Posts: 105
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Mapping my network has been on my "to do" list for a long time.  Thank you.
    I used to be fat.
  • asadowskyasadowsky Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    You need a smart / managed switch to auto discover what is on each port . Some vendors include software . Some third party vendors that come to mind are Solarwinds , Fluke network inspector , Ubiquiti Networks on their hardware. I use a spreadsheet, port# to device and comments in my switch config . No software can discover devices at the port level on dumb switches
    _undefined
  • Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    rhclinton said:
    Majeed said:
    I remember Network Magic very well.  It was an excellent tool.  It's disappearance is a cautionary tale:  If you are a small company with a useful product and then sell it out to an industry giant, be prepared for (a)the new marketing department to modify it to the point of uselessness, and then (b) for the product to disappear entirely.  Fing, take notice.

Robert

Amen. Another example was Logitech, which bought Slim Devices and then let SD's primary product (the Squeezebox) slide into oblivion with minimal support and a degradation of the products sold under their own logo (eg, unreliable D/A codecs).
    Kwray69834
  • _undefined_undefined Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Ubiquiti's Unifi excellent site management tool offers a topology diagram.
    You can also upload floorplans to said tool and place your devices thereon.
    Lee_Bo
  • DarkStar_1DarkStar_1 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    You can always use nmap https://nmap.org/
    They offer a graphical display, I think that it would be better to export to Excel so that you can drive a Microsoft Visio diagram.
  • dstrohldstrohl Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    ✭✭
    Couple of clarifying points:
    1. I'm not looking for auto-discovery of connections.  it would be nice, but I suspect most home or SOHO networks switches would not be able to provide enough information to discover connections, or if they did, most of the "admins" would not have setup snmp (or in many cases, even know how to setup snmp) to access it.
    2.  Since this product is more focused on the SOHO market, I'd suggest what seems most useful would be the ability to upload an image of a floor plan, and to be able to drop objects onto the image, and the ability to set (manually at first), which switch they go to.  Also to manually add a switch if it doesn't show up (i.e. a dumb switch/hub).  

jamzm
  • jamzmjamzm Pittsburgh, PA, USAMember Posts: 105
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Very good points
    I used to be fat.
    TRS80
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 17
    Network diagram would be nice, like what Ubiquiti does, but that requires programming.  If Fing were to make that a paid option, would you buy it?

• asadowskyasadowsky Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I just revisited Fing on my android  and under device- detail- edit you can enter notes and location. This just needs to show up one level ( under network details). This should meet the needs of a SOHO and if you need a map Visio or some other drawing program will work. Ubiquiti as far as I know only maps their own switches . As I mentioned before you need a managed switch to map a network. I use a Mikrotik or Cisco switch to discover an undocumented cable plant. You can always just unplug a cable at a time and see what drops.