What kind of router should I purchase?

2»

Answers

• RainCaster
    RainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 55
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I need three wifi routers to cover my house. Two are cheap D-Link DIR-867s. Emphasis on cheap. They do function, but they are not great.
    The main router that we use is from Ubiquiti, (AC Pro) and it's fantastic. Great support, constant firmware updates. It's very fast (300M+ in the house) and it gives us great coverage out into the front yard. At least 150 feet away from the house, which is nice. When I can afford it, I will replace the other two routers with ones like this.
  • dougienisbet
    dougienisbet Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    This thread is an interesting read. I have a Draytek Vigor 2830 as main router, and a Vigor AP810 as another WAP on my home network. I have a Zen Internet Unlimited Fibre 2 broadband and I'm not that far from the cabinet.
    There's just the two of us and generally there are no issues. The package we have should be generally massively more than we require. Speedtests look fine. But ...
    Skype calls (audio only) to work are unreliable with occasional drop-outs. Zoom stuff seems more solid.
    The problem I'm finding, as is often the way, is tracking down where the problem is. My network, the local connection, somewhere between here and work, or work Skype implementation issues.
    Which brings me to bandwidth monitoring (which I haven't seen mentioned - sorry if I've missed it).
    The Draytek Vigor 2830 has an option (Diagnostics/Data Flow Monitor) which allows live monitoring of which connected devices are using the connection. It's useful, but not that useful. It's live, not historic.
    I have a lot of raspberry pis, webcams, and Linux shell scripts doing all sorts of nonsense blasting things up and down to the cloud, and I've been trying to find a way of getting a simple high-level view of what device is using how much bandwidth, when and doing what.
    So my only contribution to all this is to ask, can your router give you a live and historic record of bandwidth usage and ideally by app, by each device on your network. I'd find that useful.
    Dougie
    PS1: My router uses syslog to send all logs to a (Linux debian) host on my homelan, and I've been trying to find a simple syslog anyalyzer that I can use to analyse the data and hopefully extract human-readable bandwidth data.
    PS2: I believe I can configure Quality of Service (QoS) in my router (Bandwidth Management/Quality of Service) but it's a bit beyond me. I think more modern routers have presets for this sort of thing that could be useful. Although, in my case, watching live traffic usage I doubt this is the issue. There are no covert netflix users watching movies on the fly when a skype call is going on.
    Linuxbox1
  • OrrinC
    OrrinC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I have a Netgear Orbi RBR50 with two satellites.  I have very good coverage, and the satellites each have 4 wired Ethernet ports, which are very useful.  However, there is one major serious issue: I cannot separate the 2.4G and 5G bands, or turn the 5G band off!  This has created some serious issues with "2.4G-only" IoT devices.  Most other routers allow each band to be turned on or off, or allow separate SSID's.  This has been a big pain for me, so if you are using a lot of IoT devices, you might want to check how your desired router deals with this issue!  
    AlbertKLinuxbox1Marc
  • AlbertK
    AlbertK Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Taken from my ASUS RT88U router I have a visitor who uses an Apple device, hence the high apple usage.  I am a diehard Android fellah.
    @dougienisbet
    Linuxbox1dougienisbet
  • AlbertK
    ✭✭
    Unless I am very much mistaken.... (too tired to check it now) doesn't the FINGBOX allow you to check bandwidth on devices ??
  • Brobin
    Brobin Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'll add my vote for the ASUS AiMesh routers.  I'm using a pair of RT-AC1750 B1 routers and an ASUS RP-AC55 repeater with seamless coverage in a 5500sf home on 2 floors.  I particularly like that the inexpensive ($55) extenders function as AiMesh nodes.  I started out several years ago using a single RT-AC1750 B1 router with a few TP-Link access points and then when ASUS introduced AiMesh I just updated the firmware on the router and added nodes to create seamless coverage.  As we walk through the house with wireless devices they are always connected to the strongest signal.
    Linuxbox1
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,580
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Linuxbox1AlbertK
  • dougienisbet
    AlbertK said:
    Unless I am very much mistaken.... (too tired to check it now) doesn't the FINGBOX allow you to check bandwidth on devices ??
    I could be missing it but I can’t find anything. Under network scan there’s a Bandwidth Analysis option that analyses download speeds, but I can’t find anything that gives me a historic view of bandwidth usage by device. I’ll keep looking. This is in the IOS app. Haven’t checked the desktop app yet. 

Dougie
  • dougienisbet
    AlbertK said:
    Taken from my ASUS RT88U router I have a visitor who uses an Apple device, hence the high apple usage.  I am a diehard Android fellah.
    @dougienisbet
    that looks really good. I’m struggling a bit with the model numbers. Is this the same as this?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC88U/

Linuxbox1
  • AlbertK
    ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes... it is.  It is what I have.  BUT NOTE:   ASUS MODEL NUMBERS ARE CONFUSING !!!  I've  Been an ASUS user for over 10 years and NEVER had a problem with any them.
    Dougie... note:  Consider the fact that the NEW 88U ( the one with the YELLOW antennas )  will also give you the AX protocol. While there are very few AX clients about..... (yet) keep an eye to the future !  What I also love is that it has 8 ( EIGHT) ports, as opposed the far more common 4 ports on most units.
    SEE: 

ASUS RT-AX88U Wireless-AX6000 AiMesh Dual Band Gigabit Router, OFDMA + MU-MIMO tech, 1024 QAM, Range Boost, Trend Micro AiProtection Pro, WTFast GPN, Dual WAN Support, 3G/4G Support

Am very happy with my unit which runs 24/7/365 ,,,, year in year out. But I am thinking of going to the AX 6000  model as per the type above
    Albert

Linuxbox1
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,580
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the history section under bandwidth analysis. There should be an entry for each one you triggered.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • dougienisbet
    AlbertK said:
    Dougie.... Look at a many YouTube reviews on the model with AX support. Here is one.
    Thanks Albert - the bits on the traffic analysis menu options were very useful.
    Linuxbox1
  • Badgerbalti
    Badgerbalti Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020
    [Please ignore]

• cryptoknight
    cryptoknight Upper Southern Peninsula IslandMember Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    @AlbertK - your point (and the one of @Ferlauto ) above about there being 'as many opinions as there are possible options' is true, but of course, it's better than the alternative. And while I agree about the overall dilution of the quality of reviews in online marketplaces[^3], I wanted to mention that I've had decent luck with Fakespot[^1] and ReviewMeta[^2].

[1]: https://www.fakespot.com/
    [2]: https://reviewmeta.com/
    [3]: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/amazon.html
    That's the good thing about opinions... they don't have to be backed up with facts.
    Linuxbox1
  • Linuxbox1
    Linuxbox1 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭

I just gotta say thanks to everyone again for making this thread great. I'll be purchasing very shortly. I'll post my decision here.

Robin
  • Partage
    Partage Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    I would recommend Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, it's aTri-band WiFi Gaming router for VR and 4K streaming, with quad-core processor, gaming port, AiMesh for whole-home wifi system, built-in wtfast, Adaptive QoS, and AiProtection Pro network security
  • Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for a Ubiquiti system.  UDM/UDM Pro are nice but if you're going to also use wifi access points or (some) security cameras you'll also need a POE (power over ethernet) switch.
  • Integrity45
    Integrity45 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there @DonEnzo can you tell me how you got your Fingbox working within a Unifi Gateway, as I am really struggling? My environment consists of a USG connected to a Unifi 24-port switch, then a number of 8-port switches and Wi-Fi AP Lites. As the USG does not have a port on the same subnet, I have tried plugging into the main 24-port switch (same switch as the USG) but the Fingbox is not being found. Any help would be very much appreciated.