what and why

netlabsnetlabs Member Posts: 3
First Comment

3 questions.

every so often I get a .local next to some of my devices what does this mean and why is it seemingly random on which devices have it. Also these devices become impossible to ping.

Hon Hai Precision. Every so often a seemingly random device in my network changes the known manufacturer to Hon Hai Precision. why is this, who is this and why does this happen.

I have multiple devices linked to the above questions showing multiple MAC addresses, and network up time when turned off.

Network composition.

Line in to house - BT Open reach Modem - Bitdefender Box 2 (acting man in the middle router) - Linksys WRT1900AC (acting as extender for internal network for the Wi-Fi hub, CCTV Cat5, TP-link Cat5 PoE switch to the wired network)

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,191
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @netlabs welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Q: every so often I get a .local next to some of my devices what does this mean and why is it seemingly random on which devices have it. Also these devices become impossible to ping.
    A: Is that system logged into a Domain account or is that system on a Workgroup?

Q: Hon Hai Precision. Every so often a seemingly random device in my network changes the known manufacturer to Hon Hai Precision. why is this, who is this and why does this happen.
    A: This happens in Fingbox?  Can you please provide screenshots, especially a before and after one if you have it.

Q: I have multiple devices linked to the above questions showing multiple MAC addresses, and network up time when turned off.
    A: Each communication service on a device will have its own MAC address assigned to it.  For each Ethernet port and Wireless band (2.4, 5. etc.) will have a MAC address assigned to it.  This is normal.

Q: Line in to house - BT Open reach Modem - Bitdefender Box 2 (acting man in the middle router) - Linksys WRT1900AC (acting as extender for internal network for the Wi-Fi hub, CCTV Cat5, TP-link Cat5 PoE switch to the wired network)
    A: This will take me a bit to digest, but your setup may have something to do with it.  Which device is acting as your main Gateway/Firebox/Router?  What brand and model is the 'WiFi Hub'?  Your CCTV and POE switch are self explanatory for me, so that's good.  Please provide some more detail so I can assist you further.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify your setup as I am researching this information:
    BT Open reach Modem - Fibre modem manufactured by BT
    Bitdefender Box 2 - Firewall for Home (note: needs router)
    Linksys WRT1900AC - NOT acting as router, but as network extender for wifi

When you attempt to obtain an IP address from a desktop on this network setup, what IP ranges (DHCP) do you receive?
    The Bitdefender device (according to quick information from its website) shouldn't be used as a router:

https://www.bitdefender.com/box/setup/
    Technical Requirements
    Before you begin, please make sure you have the following items available:
        A working Internet connection
        Your Wi-Fi username and password
        Your router access credentials
        A mobile device running iOS or Android for the setup

This bit of information tells me that this device relies on an existing Ethernet and Wireless connection so that it may monitor and process data traffic both incoming and outgoing.  This device also requires a yearly subscription in order for the device to actively monitor connections.  This device could be used in place of a small business or corporate firewall device that would function in the same way (albeit with other robust features above and beyond this one).

"

What is Bitdefender BOX?

Bitdefender BOX is the innovative security hub for the connected home. It protects all internet-connected devices in your digital life, at home and on the go. With Bitdefender BOX you get complete, multi-layered cybersecurity for your computers, smartphones, tablets, baby monitors, game consoles, smart TVs, and everything that’s connected in your household. Bitdefender BOX lets you control all your connected devices from a single app. It employs machine-learning algorithms and intrusion prevention systems to pick up new threats and unsafe behavior and keep your smart home safe."

This would be a device used in place of the Fingbox, unfortunately I cannot review the setup documentation as my "super-secret government location" will not allow me to pull it up.

As it looks right now, this network isn't setup as it should be.  With your fibre modem you should also have a method of managing and dispersing the Internet connection (reads: wireless router) and then the Bitdefender device should be attached to an Ethernet port on the router, with access to the wireless signals.

If I have this wrong, please help me understand how this is setup and functioning, what IP addresses, etc.
    Robin
  • netlabsnetlabs Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited June 2

Yes to the above questions on the setup BT Modem is the Gateway

Bitdefender Box 2 is the Firebox and WIFI router.

WRT1900ac is the router bridged with Box 2

WIFI is configued to the same names

The bitdefender box is setup and configured correctly. This has been checked by bitdefender's tech and support team.

They also confirmed that prior to The Box being installed, my network did get breached by a port tunnelling, fixed bios firmware virus on the Linksys routers main board. Annoyingly it's permanent but we'll caged by the box.

Sidenote, Box2 can run as a sole firewall router or as a man in the middle firewall router when bridged.

Then the network Map gets a bit mental.

WRT1900ac Cat5 ports are...

P1 Box2

P2 Samsung Smart things Hub

P3 CCTV hub to 3 cat5 swann cameras

P4 TP-link hub...

The TP-link hub ports are...

3 x power lines

2 x HDMI over cat 5

LightwaveRF Radio router (17 devices)

4 x PC Computers

1 x Thecus data bank

1x Sky+HD

2 x Toshiba Dinodocs

1x Sony Amplifyer

The WIFI Network routed via the Box2 is as follows...

7 x Alexa devices

1 x Google mini

1x Netgear Wi-Fi extender

1x Logitech Hub with elite universal remote.

4 x Samsung phones.

1 x Samsung phone bridged to RM Alexa

1x Broardlink RM Pro (RF,IR signal throw)

1 x Projector

1x Roborock 5 robot Hoover

1x Samsung clothes dryer.

1 x SanDisk SDW54

1x WD My passport wireless

1x printer

2x Motorola wirless CCTV

And no gaming consoles lol I think that's all of them.

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!  Thanks for the detail!
    Honestly I'd consider another product other than the Linksys even if it's configured as an AP on the current network.  I used to be a big Linksys fan back when they were manufactured and supported by Cisco, however my faith in them rapidly declines after they sold the consumer line of products to Belkin.
    Not a fan of Belkin products at all.
    "...fixed bios firmware virus on the Linksys routers main board. Annoyingly it's permanent.."
    That statement alone would encourage me to toss this out as soon as possible.
    If the BT Modem is acting as a router (dual device modem & router) then you should have an internal IP address scheme happening on your LAN.  Can you please just verify that the internal IP address on a DHCP-assigned machine does issue a 192, 172, or a 10. network address?
    What I would do in a case like this is find a time when the majority of the users are either out of the building or busy doing other things, remove anything beyond the modem/router, test and ensure that connectivity and assignment happens as it should, then slowly re-introduce the other devices back into the network, pausing to test the connections and assignments as you move along ... starting with the 'Box' (since it has a critical reason that it's implemented).
    Also consider using a different gateway/mesh setup, making the modem/router that's currently being used strictly act as a modem.  I honestly think you'd be much happier with that, especially in managing the connections and what happens to them.  It really helped my home/office situation for sure.
    Let me know your thoughts on that...

• netlabsnetlabs Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Bugger I left off the 3 Amazon fires lol.

DHCP is 172

BT is solely a modem, the Linksys router replaced the ISP's useless Belkin.

Can you send me a link to a matrix for me to look In too as the Linksys is a bit out of date now.