High ping - Discord - Gaming

omdoedeomdoede Member Posts: 1
in BT
I have a set up with BT Smart hub 2 and disc.
I have noticed that when Fing is plugged into the hub (not the disc) it causes anything I do on my pc to give me high ping. I can hear everyone on discord perfectly fine but they only hear me as a robotic voice, at around 350 ping. When I game, I hit a latency of around the same.
To be honest I feel like ive been conned with this Fing box, it was supposed to be a peace of mind now it is just £100 piece of plastic.

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @omdoede, don't be discouraged.  The products works well for a number of folks so we might have a problem with your unit and or its configuration.   In so much as in normal operations, Fing should not be taking up the kind of bandwidth that would cause what you're seeing.  My first inclination would be to look at Fingbox's setting in the mobile app to make sure Slower network discovery is switched off but that's a long shot...

@Robin , @Ciaran , @rooted , @Pixelpopper , @kltaylor do you have any suggestions as to where @omdoede should start troubleshooting wise?
    Tnx..
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know anything about the BT Smart Hub 2 but being it has Smart in the name it may have security features built in that sees Fingbox as an invasive device and spending a lot of CPU cycles trying to protect your network from it.

From the description page:

BT Smart Hub 2 features advanced filters

They filter out interference that can negatively impact on Wi-Fi performance, helping to ensure the BT Smart Hub 2 has more powerful Wi-Fi than all other major broadband providers.

BT Smart Scan technology

The BT Smart Hub 2 constantly monitors your hub’s connection. If it spots a problem, it will quietly make changes, reboot and make a fresh connection. All at a time that doesn’t impact your experience.

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    edited May 29
    Hi @omdoede I have no experience of gaming or smart hub 2 (I use smart hub 1) but I would recommend disabling smart setup, reboot the router and see if that helps. Smart setup operates by setting defaults for your network & your problem may lie there. It’s worth a try, also if the Fingbox doesn’t cause problems when running from the mesh dish why not run it from there?