Pausing/Blocking a Samsung Smart TV

Chris_1
Chris_1 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
Founder First Comment Photogenic
✭✭
edited September 11, 2019 in Fingbox #1
Does anyone sucessfully manage Scheduled Pause and Blocking of a Samsung Smart TV.
My TV is only used to receive streaming services and but regardless of the block or pause status in Fing streaming continues and yes I waited for the buffering to expire (it doesn't).
Thanks Chris

VioletChepil

Answers

• Lee
    Lee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    I've got a Samsung Smart TV. I've never tried the pause and blocking with it but I'll give it a go and get back to you in the next day or so!
    Chris_1
  • KING_CRACKER78
    KING_CRACKER78 Member Posts: 11
    First Answer 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭

whenever i have trouble blocking/pausing a device i tend to log in on lineand not use the app has worked so far hope this helps

ian

VioletChepil
  • SJ47
    SJ47 Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Does your ISP support IPv6? If IPv6 is rolled out (next to IPv4), the FING box cannot block that traffic. Evidently, your TV must support also IPv6, the problem is that you will not necessarily see this in the Samsung interface.
    VioletChepilGidster
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually it's not the ISP here, the issue is if your router has IPv6 turned on.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilMDavide
  • SJ47
    Pooh said:

Depends if you control the router. In Belgium most ISPs will provide the IAD (Internet Access Device) and manage them. AFAIK, I cannot block the IPv6 on the IAD that they provided, neither can I block the built-in IPv4 DHCP server (although I have my own DHPC and DNS). I fixed this through filters in the managed switch I use to stitch everything together.
    VioletChepil
  • Lee
    Lee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    I tried to block my Samsung SmartTV this morning with Fing. Did not work. I really don't have a need to block my TV but I did want to respond to Chris's initial post regarding the Samsung TV
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting and annoying. Can't imagine then trying to get away with that here... although I'm sure Comcast would if it thought it could!

That said, my point remains that the issue with IPv6 is internal and not external. That is to say, irrespective of the IPv4 address you lease and agreed IPv6 address you have been given by your ISP, what kills Fingbox's blocking functionality is if your internal router has IPv6 turned on, whether by the user or (as it sounds like for the good folks of Belgium) by their ISP (which still fair blows my mind!)

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    LeeHronos
  • SJ47
    Pooh said:

Depends if you control the router. In Belgium most ISPs will provide the IAD (Internet Access Device) and manage them. AFAIK, I cannot block the IPv6 on the IAD that they provided, neither can I block the built-in IPv4 DHCP server (although I have my own DHCP and DNS). I fixed this through filters in the managed switch I use to uplink and connect my devices.
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_1 said:
    Does anyone sucessfully manage Scheduled Pause and Blocking of a Samsung Smart TV.
    My TV is only used to receive streaming services and but regardless of the block or pause status in Fing streaming continues and yes I waited for the buffering to expire (it doesn't).
    Thanks Chris

I have at least 2 Samsung 'Smart' TV's in our household.
    Early on I noticed the same thing and came to the conclusion that I needed to 'fix' it.  To that end, I created a secondary 'Guest' wireless network (ASUS Router) non-broadcasting, a robust password for digital devices to have access to the internet, but doesn't need to have access to LAN resources (NAS, printers, etc.)
    This method keeps non-threatening (?!) devices from my LAN, and the device can do whatever it wants on the guest network.  Sometimes removing the device from 'the equation' is the best solution, at least it was for me.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    LeeVioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_1 please choose a BEST ANSWER if the thread has been solved/explained for you. This helps other members know they can find an answer here. 

Community Manager at Fing