TeamViewer and Fing

Lee
Lee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
✭✭
I use TeamViewer infrequently to help friends and family members with various computer issues that they have. While I am not a professional computer tech, I do have a pretty extensive background in computer hardware and software, so I'm called on a couple of times a week to help someone. Often I can fix the problem remotely from my home through TeamViewer. I've used TeamViewer since the software was released. I use TeamViewer's free license since I'm not a professional tech and I don't charge for my service, and it is installed on my home computer.
A couple of weeks ago I ran into a problem when I tried to log into a friend's computer to help him. A warning popped up on TeamViewer indicating my computer had been flagged for as being used for "professional use" in violation of their licensing agreement. I've contacted TeamViewer Support to see if they'll reset my license but do to their high volume of support requests they said it could take 2 to 3 weeks to get back to me.
In the meantime I am wondering if something Fing might have done could have triggered this warning. I use Fing to turn on and off internet access to my desktop computer when I am not using it. And since Fing monitors my computer activity is there something Fing might be doing that caused TeamViewer's program to catch some usual traffic or activity from Fing to cause the warning?
I'd be really curious to know if any other Community members use TeamViewer and have run into a similar problem.

Thanks, Lee

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have simply been TeamViewer seeing activity through two totally different IP addresses. I highly doubt the Fingbix itself would have done something, but having two remote IPs suddenly become visible to TV on a free plan? Yeah, I could see that.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • pcsasd
    pcsasd Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes, with a free account, you should stick to one computer when connecting from your TV account
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not heard of this issue at all. I'll ask around and see if anyone on support team has heard of this but I do not think Fing/Fingbox would be impacting this. 

Community Manager at Fing

• pcsasd
    pcsasd Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic
    Are you sure you are on a fixed IP address from your provider? Occasionally, some providers do change that for private accounts for technical or maintenance reasons, and only business accounts would get a fixed IP nr.
  • TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with Fing. It's down to Teamviewer's free model which allows you to connect to your home PC from work, but not your work PC from home. So if it detects a connection or two from the other direction than you usually do, it flags your account.

You can appeal it and after a few days they'll release the annoying message, but then if you happen to help a friend out from your other machine it will flag up again.

I've since switched over to Anydesk which seems to be doing most of the stuff I want to do.
  • Lee
    ✭✭
    I don't have a work computer, only 2 home desktops and 2 home laptops. I actually had logged into a friend's work computer to help him fix it when I got the flag from TeamViewer. But he's just a one man operation in small office. And TeamViewer didn't flag his account, just one of mine because I was able to log in with my other desktop and fix his issue. Thanks for the recommendation for Anydesk CustomCave - I am also looking into CloudBerry Remote, which is also free.
    I've been trying to narrow down what caused the issue which is why I questioned whether Fing could have caused it. I honestly don't think it did, but since I log in and out of Fing constantly, I thought it might have triggered something.
    I do use a VPN service (VPN unlimited). I do switch it on and off because sometimes the speed through the VPN slows down. I also switch it off if I am working with big files that need to be uploaded or downloaded. Since I am in the So Calif area, I've used the L.A. VPN server for a long time. Recently I switched to the Las Vegas NV server because the L.A. server had really slowed down, so that might have triggered the response from TeamViewer.
    I filed an appeal with TV's support - still waiting to hear back from them. They said it could take 2-3 weeks to get a response. I'll post TV's response when I receive it!

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 54
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2019 #8

Nothing to do with Fingbox just a coincidence I have also used the paid and free version and seen this. There are other services you can use but team viewer is very good at getting around corporate firewalls with minimal effort from sys admins (who are normally a pain in the arse) lol

Lee
  • Lee
    ✭✭
    TeamViewer responded to my request today: Thank you for your request regarding being unblocked from using the free version of TeamViewer. After reviewing the information provided to us, we were unable to confirm that the submitted ID is being used privately.
    Funny thing, I was out for an extended period of time yesterday so I needed to log into my desktop PC to check my email. I used TV on my iPhone to access it. Even though my desktop was flagged as being used for commercial use, I was able to use TV for an extended period of time to check my email. But I cannot use TV for an outbound connection to another PC from the desktop for more than a few minutes before it cuts me off. Not a bid deal because I can still us TV on my other desktop and well as my laptops. And there are alternative free programs.

• Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, @Lee!
  • TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    ✭✭✭
    That sucks @Lee, I've had mine unblocked twice so far but it just happens again after a few weeks regardless.

I first moved to Cloudberry Remote when I last had Teamviewer issues and then moved onto Anydesk after that. I've found Anydesk to be a little more responsive than Cloudberry.
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still remember back in the day when "GoToComputer" first started up - and it was free for something like 2 endpoints.

How life has changed... :(

• Lee
    ✭✭
    Yes, it does suck @TheCustomCave ... but I discovered a workaround. Turns out if you change the Mac address for your computer, it resets the TeamViewer app and console. Here's how to change the Mac address: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Computer's-Mac-Address-in-Windows

I changed it and after I rebooted, TV no longer recognized this desktop PC. I deleted the old name from the TV console, and I added a new name for this PC. And just like that, I'm up and running again with TV.  :-)

And yes, @Pooh , I remember GotoMyPC (that's what you were referring to?). Used it for a long time when it was free.

• Jack
    ✭✭✭

Another good option is you could also use VNC (via a VPN) to ensure only you can connect.

Lee
  • Jack
    ✭✭✭

For connection back to your home network obviously.

Lee
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    It could have simply been TeamViewer seeing activity through two totally different IP addresses. I highly doubt the Fingbix itself would have done something, but having two remote IPs suddenly become visible to TV on a free plan? Yeah, I could see that.
    I agree with @Pooh on that, Fingbox wouldn't have triggered anything when it comes to TeamViewer.  What most-likely happened was a trigger that alarmed them to the frequency of use and how long you connect to another system and stay connected.  TeamViewer will throttle the bandwidth if a computer stays connected longer than they would like to have them to.
    You may wish to consider using a different application, VNC is great, open source and is relatively simple to setup (port forwards, etc.)
    Personally, I use a little-known application located at www.dwservice.net.  It's 'donationware' and allows multiple systems in your account, encrypted communication peer-to-peer, and you can set up 2FA for added security.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Lee
  • Lee
    ✭✭
    TheCustomCave . I can still use my other computers for TV at the moment but I think it's only a matter of time before they shut them all down. Because I am helping elderly friends I have to set them up with the new programs too so I can get access when needed. It's often hard for them to know how to enter passwords so I can remote in. Thanks again for chiming in about Anydesk. I'm going to give it a try!
  • Lee
    ✭✭
    Yes, it does suck @TheCustomCave ... but I discovered a workaround. Turns out if you change the Mac address for your computer, it resets the TeamViewer app and console. Here's how to change the Mac address: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Computer's-Mac-Address-in-Windows
    I changed it and after I rebooted, TV no longer recognized this desktop PC. I deleted the old name from the TV console, and I added a new name for this PC. And just like that, I'm up and running again with TV.  :-)
    And yes, @Pooh , I remember GotoMyPC (that was the name?) when it was free. Used it for a long time.

• coolbeans2016
    coolbeans2016 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Fing's "API's" are an industry leader & used by the largest conglomerates in online business, presence... 
    So, yeah, Teamviewer's setup could definitely recognized your Fingbox's presence as a commercial setup.