Trace Route returns NOTHING

RedearlRedearl Member Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
I have an Android phone Samsung S7,running all the current update. Fing is the most current version
When i trace route to ANY host, all i get is three asterisk for each hop, no ip address or host-name, as is all is blocked.
What settings or configuration changes do i need to make.
Tagged:

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 803
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Any host on your own network will be one hop.

If you go to the launch screen and scroll down to "Use one of our tools" then select Traceroute and enter a host it works as expected for me although I'm not sure what happened to hop #3.

Robin
  • RedearlRedearl Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic
    I Know how to use it, but it does not function.
    It tries to do its job, but all i get is three asterisks for each hop, just like your #3, only mine is X items long, depending which host i try to trace..
    Was going to insert a Screen capture, of the result, but cannot find a way to do that.

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 803
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robin Is this a bug you have seen before?

I'm not sure what's going on with Fing @Redearl, let's see if Robin who has a closer relationship with the developers can think of anything. Sorry you are having this issue ☹️

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @rooted
    @Redearl The traceroute works in the same way as it will work on the Windows PC with the command: 

#  tracert www.google.com 

The command will start from the router(host) to the destination. You can check the same command from your PC and Fing App and if you see different results, please let me know. 

A likely reason for the traceroute not working is that by default Window's tracert uses ICMP. In the modern network environment the traditional traceroute methods can not be always applicable, because of widespread use of firewalls. Such firewalls filter the "unlikely" UDP ports, or even ICMP echoes. To resolve this, some additional tracerouting methods needs to be implemented (including tcp) which is not yet provided by Fing. Such methods try to use particular protocol and source/destination port, in order to bypass firewalls (to be seen by firewalls just as a start of allowed type of a network session). 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!