Can I block a specific website?

jackiejackie Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
I want to block spotify in my whole house. Is fing capable of that?
CHIRISIKI

Best Answer

• ScoobyScooby Posts: 118
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, neither the Fing app or Fingbox is capable of blocking specific Internet sites, at this time. The Fingbox can block devices from Internet access, but it is an "all-or-none" approach. However, many routers have the ability to block specific web sites. You would have to look into your router's user manual on if it is possible, and how to do so. Another option would be to use a DNS filtering service, like OpenDNS. OpenDNS has a free option, which you can block specific web sites. Once setup, you would, then, change your router's DNS server entries to OpenDNS DNS server addresses. Here is an article that explains how: https://www.howtogeek.com/79998/protect-your-kids-online-using-open-dns-2/. If you have individuals in your household who are smart enough, they can change their devices DNS settings to a different DNS address, and bypass the OpenDNS filtering, though.

CHIRISIKIRobin

Answers

• jackiejackie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Yes I have fingbox

• CHIRISIKICHIRISIKI Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I think you can do it if you have a FINGBOX device on your network, not only through software.
    You can block any unwanted software on your home or office network router logging on to its web configuration page though, but the nice thing about FING+FINGBOX is that you can manage your network settings through your mobile or home desktop devices easier, on a friendly interface and not worrying about making unwanted changes which may lead to compromise your privacy or internet access and quality if you are not very savvy about hardware configurations.

I send you a link which may have more information about your question even though is a couple of years old.
    Hope this helps.!
    https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-vs-fing-app/
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,719
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    jackie said:
    I want to block spotify in my whole house. Is fing capable of that?
    As of now, Fingbox does not support this feature. For blocking a particular website, Fingbox needs further hardware and all traffic needs to travel through Fingbox which is not possible at this current stage. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Wow that one answer was so wrong posting it 50 more times isn't going to make it right
    nozero
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,132
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ProTecK , its possible @CHIRISIKI was trying to edit the post and it went horribly wrong.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭

Possible for fing app or fingbox to block websites? Not using the current user interface with Android or IOS It's not. There is nothing documenting anything close to doing that anywhere

Maybe some beta version.

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,132
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26
    A number of us answered the question, I was focusing on the multi post and your response to it @ProTecK
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...