need to detect devices through the devices own wifi signal

lependlepend Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
Hi all...
I have just downloaded Fing on my phone however I cannot get it to find devices that are in range which have their wifi signal switched on. ie phone, laptop etc.. It will only show devices that are connected to my routers network.
I need to be able to detect and see a device that is emitting a wifi signal regardless of that device being connected to something else. Can anyone tell me is this possible with Fing app? and if not, is there an app that can do this?
Hope Ive made sense here..
Thanks
lepend
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,114
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lepend welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    You're asking if the Fing app can detect the presence of a wireless device without it being connected to a Gateway device?  The simple answer on that is no ... but now I'm curious if there is an app that can do that, and what one could use the app for.  As it is I don't know of an app that can do that, but will go and research that to see if one exists.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20
    I'll be darned.
  • lependlepend Member Posts: 7

Thanks for reply... I would very much like to know if u find an app that can do this.

Or if anyone knows if this is not possible? Its just my thinking is that a device with WiFi switched on is emitting a WiFi signal and this signal should be detectable

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,719
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks @kltaylor for the support.
    @lepend I believe the feature that you are requesting is Digital Fence. You will need a Fingbox to use this feature. More details on this link: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hi and thank for your help so far..!!
    This is exactly what I am looking to achieve however, I would like it to be mobile - ie on my phone.. is this something thats not currently possible... and if so , do you know the reason why?
    lepend
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited May 22

It looks like the Digital Fence feature does just that:

I just went into this on my phone and I see Netgear and Linksys devices on a different SSID than mine. But apparently Fingbox only detects devices within 15 meters (roughly 45 feet) of the device.

lependkltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee_Bo said:

I just went into this on my phone and I see Netgear and Linksys devices on a different SSID than mine. But apparently Fingbox only detects devices within 15 meters (roughly 45 feet) of the device.

That's what I thought he wanted to do, too.
    With a digital fence it would allow those devices that are attached to the network to record activity in and out of the WiFi range.  In my opinion I thought that the Digital Fence would alert you to someone's wireless device attempting to access the network, not report any wireless device that comes into its area.
    I could be wrong, though.
    I don't remember seeing any information presented to me regarding what wireless devices are passing by my geo-footprint.  If it has that feature then I need to look at my configuration again and find out why I am not receiving those notifications.

Im really not interested in snooping on any neighbours WiFi networks... however I do have my reasons for this!

• AviBobAviBob Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic

WiFi analyzer

That app is in Google Play

WiFi analyzer will only show active networks n the name strength type of their signal etc. I am looking for an app that can detect any device with a WiFi signal switched on ie mobile phone laptop pc etc that's within range. I would like to know if either an app of this type exists or if it does not... anyone know why?

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The digital fence option is the one that you're looking for, to use with the Fing app and a Fingbox.
    I never explored that area of the app but it absolutely does report to you devices that are 'in range' and not connecting to the network.  This provides an opportunity for you to evaluate the devices and decide on an action for your network.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,132
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee_Bo said:

It should detect further.  When you in the digital fence, select the signal icon and check to see where its at.  I think by default its at 50 % which could explain your range.  Crank it up to 100% and see what the results are.  Mine goes from 9 devices to 77 when I change it.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    The only things I can see on the fing app at the moment - are what is actually connected to my network and what has been connected to my network, if i am missing something here please let me know...
    However up to now... If I am understanding all your posts - for me to get an app that will allow me to detect and see when a different phones wifi is switched on.. is to have the fingbox, there is no other way.. No?

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @lepend, that is correct...
    lepend
    Marc said:
    @lepend, that is correct...
    ok thanks for clarifying that.. I just find it difficult to understand why a mobile app such as fing or anyother similar can pick up a routers wifi siganal and display details of it, but it is unable to pick up and display details of a phone, laptop or other device emitting a wifi signal?

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 118
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like what you might be looking for, but the app isn't free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scanner.wifi.bluetooth.nfc.surveillancepro&hl=en_US.

lepend
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Kali Linux will run exactly what your asking for on a raspberry pi.
    lepend
  • RustDogRustDog Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    If you are talking about detecting and plotting Wifi radio waves, then look for 'Wi-Fi site survey tool' online: For example, https://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview/
  • pcsasdpcsasd Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    is this still a feature on FingBox app?
    I cannot find it anywhere.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pcsasd , its a feature of the mobile app if you have a Fingbox as well.  Do you have a Fingbox?
  • asadowskyasadowsky Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
  • pcsasdpcsasd Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
     Marc  yes, I have a fingbox v1, using app on iOS
  • OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 61
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    I am sorry for hijacking this thread but I am afraid I will forget to ask later. When we stay somewhere like an Airbnb, aren't we able to detect any hidden cameras in the room using the fing app? Can someone post the link to that thread?
    Thanks!
  • ProTecKProTecK Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 10:06AM

@OKC You could never rely on fing for this. If your connected to a "guest wifi" at an Airbnb location, There is no guarantee your going to be on the same network as the camera your trying to locate. There is no guarantee the camera your looking for is going to be using WiFi. Take those two things away and your hands are tied as far as fing goes

If I was managing a network for something like that, no device connecting to the network would be able to see other network devices. That's pretty standard for everybody's protection. When done correctly, you would not have any other devices show up when you performed a device scan.

There are "spy store" devices that could definitely help you find cameras, they look for either electronic noise or a reflection off the camera lenses. They are purpose designed and work much better than trying to locate hidden caneras with your phone.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fing posted an article awhile back on camera detection tips...  https://www.fing.com/news/how-to-find-hidden-cameras-in-your-airbnb