question about speed test measurements

SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 88
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
✭✭✭
I cannot seem to be able to select any other test server than Podgorica in Montenegro. They have sites in turin and Milan, but it uses the Podgorica one invariably. ndt.iupui.mlab3.tgd01.measurement-lab.org

Which basically means the tests are nearly useless as the connection changes about 4 nations and a minimum of 13 up to 24 hops to get there. Worse. It does often pass through their own Milan servers before going there. 😅

I would suggest you guys either switch to a different open source speed test or something with a bit more servers worldwide.

Right now the tests it makes are useless to me.

Here is an example of open source speed test with a bit more servers: http://openspeedtest.com/

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @kltaylor for the help.
    To address your query, @SimoneSpinozzi as of now there is no way to select the server from the API by m-lab and I can take the feedback for other open sources speed test to our developers for consideration. Thanks again.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SimoneSpinozzi thanks for asking your question. 
    The speed test API that they use is also the work of a relationship that was built between the two companies.  I'm sure that Fing looked at several different aspects for this tool before they decided on the company that they use now.
    Unfortunately that also means that there could be a limitation with the servers, which you are experiencing.  However it's also worth mentioning as a suggestion or even an opportunity for Fing to have a discussion with their partner company to investigate this further for you, so thanks for the information and the suggestion.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 88
    ✭✭✭
    That explains a lot... it still solves nothing. 😅
    What we italians call: "a very engineer answer"
    It just explains why it will not be solved.
    I am definitively not going to check with you guys on how some stuff works as far as company policies are concerned... but even accounting for the fact that measurementlab has one of the sparsest range of servers i have ever seen from any such company doing that specific job...
    ...if anything...
    ...the Podgorica server they use is nearer to milan or turin if i trace a line by air... not by any measure if i trace a route to it.
    The least i was able to trace to that server was 13 hops, the longest trace route i did to any Milan server is 9 hops. (aside from the very questionable choice of putting all 5 of them under the same single connection, but i suppose that still won't put a dent in their cap usage given where specifically they are placed)
    Checking online it appears that past questions about this very issue (servers chosen by checking how near they are not by tracing a route to them) are still open in the various Githubs associated to them... Mostly because the chose to shut down most of the projects associated to those githubs... so those questions went outright unanswered (at least as far as public answers go).
    So... who should i ask to get this problem fixed?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration, my response was merely a means to first, address that you asked a question, and that it's not as easy as 'Use this instead of that' when it comes to the relationship value with their speedtest company.
    I realize that it really didn't address your concern other than 'we should ask them to talk about it'.  Which I'm more than happy to help facilitate for you.
    @Robin, is there a means to look into the issue that @SimoneSpinozzi has presented to us to see if our API can include more servers in the areas that he has specified?
    ✭✭✭
    I... asked several things which are slightly different, but sure, that might also be one different way to answer my original problem.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I understood your question to be "I would suggest you guys either switch to a different open source speed test or something with a bit more servers worldwide."  I've read and re-read this thread to be sure that I've addressed your concern to the admins.  To that end, I've addressed it as much as I can being a volunteer for all things Fing.  At this point we should wait to see what replies we receive from the actual employees.
    ✭✭✭
    👍💖
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Robin said:
    Thanks @kltaylor for the help.
    To address your query, @SimoneSpinozzi as of now there is no way to select the server from the API by m-lab and I can take the feedback for other open sources speed test to our developers for consideration. Thanks again.

Thanks Robin!
    Robin
  • genkimusumegenkimusume Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

Hi there, is there a solution to this inquiry? I have the same issue. Fingbox (I have v2) measures the wired Ethernet speed at less than 100mps (I have gigabyte plan), while all speed test softwares show WiFi connection at over 200mps, and my modem’s own tests show nearly gigabyte speed. I am curious why fingbox’s measures are so off.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

Hi there, is there a solution to this inquiry? I have the same issue. Fingbox (I have v2) measures the wired Ethernet speed at less than 100mps (I have gigabyte plan), while all speed test softwares show WiFi connection at over 200mps, and my modem’s own tests show nearly gigabyte speed. I am curious why fingbox’s measures are so off.

As stated previously on different posts, To give an update on this, we have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

For more information on differences between single and multiple stream tests, please see: https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/speed-tests-accuracy/

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    SimoneSpinozzigenkimusume
  • genkimusumegenkimusume Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thank you Robin!