How often is my fing box testing for internet connectivity?

jjdjjd Member Posts: 6
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
I ask because I lost internet access early this morning for ~hour but I have no notification of it from fing.
A follow on question I have is what constitutes an internet outage in fing's eyes? 
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @jjd thanks for asking your question.
    An internet outage is any point that Fingbox cannot obtain an SNMP message from a 'cloud server'.  An example would be issuing a continual PING to google.com and if the response comes back negative, then there must be an outage.
    Were you able to determine that it was indeed an internet outage, or could it have been a 'hiccup' with the router/gateway device?  How long was the outage?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,734
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @kltaylor.

I would like to share some insight about the Internet performance. The way the internet performance works is when your router is connected to the Fingbox, then the Fingbox talks to the router with sending and receiving small packets for connection purpose. If the router is able to send those packets, then the fingbox will keep on recording the uptime for the internet.  

But, if the fingbox is not able to receive any packets then it will immediately start recording it as downtime. It may be the case that the router is updating the firmware which will cut off the internet or router is powered off or down for some reason. Either way, there will be a time frame after which fingbox will start recording it as an outage.  

The uptime is the time Fingbox is able to talk to the router. If a user restarts the router or Fingbox, then the previously established connection made by Fingbox breaks and then it starts sending new packets and if the router is down then Fingbox can't make the connection and thus not recording any outage and if the router is up and just the wifi is not working, then it will make the connection and thus, marking it as uptime. 

For uploading of data, Automated Internet Speed tests are set as a default for all Fingbox users. This is the reason, Fingbox is able to send the Internet performance report every month. The scheduled test takes about 30 seconds. It figures out your internet speed by measuring how much data can move through your connection in that time, in download and in the upload. You can check the scheduled Internet performance from the Schedule button.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jjdjjd Member Posts: 6
    As mentioned the outage was at least an hour.  Multiple internet based services failed on my phone. Later all was well. It was not a hiccup in my local gear.
    kltaylor
  • jjdjjd Member Posts: 6
    @kltaylor no firmware upgrades were happening in my case (they can only be done manually).  I would think that the fing box being able to talk to the router is *only* the first step in being able to confirm internet access but obviously additional things have to happen. I would like to think that there are several endpoints on the internet that are used to test for access. It's always possible that one remote endpoint might be down while others are up.

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification @jjd that does seem to be quite odd, indeed.  If its not the equipment nor a simple hiccup, I would agree that there should have been a log somewhere of that.  Do you use email notifications with Fingbox at all?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information on how that works, @Robin, I was in the right neighborhood just wrong house =)  So Fingbox will ping the router for connectivity issues, and once it doesn't receive packets, then records as an outage.
    I had our ISP at my home/office last Friday, I have so many things happening on my office network with monitoring and servers, once he disconnected the internet to apply his device (ironically was a Raspberry Pi) my system started sending me information that the network was offline.
    Fingbox is quick to inform of any issues, and the tech was actually impressed that I had all of the information that I needed at my fingertips.  (Umm ... yeah, that's why I do what I do... =))
    Ciaran