Intrusion by unknow device

max_italiamax_italia Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
Last April 22 I experienced a network outage during the night. Early in the morning, when I discovered it, to start again I had to reset the network router. At 8.23  the network was up and running. Today looking in the mail I found a message from the fingbox that discovered a new device in the network. The discovery time was April 22 at 8.23 in the morning. This was a new device connecting to the network for the first time. By checking the Fing app this unit was up and running since then. The message said that this device is a Netgear / Orbi Satellite (RBS50). It seems that this device has connected to my wi-fi from the neighbors' house during the router restart process.
No other unknow devices has connected to my wi-fi network in the following 4 days, so if this device is an access point as declared from the discovery, it is not working with any connected user, probably because they are connected to another wi-fi network (the Orbi echoed my wi-fi in their home e and they look for different network name).
Obviously I blocked the Orbi after this check.
The question is: "How did Orbi connect to my wi-fi? During the restart process, maybe an Orbi unit waiting to automatically connect to a wi-fi can do it without knowing the wi-fi password? 

Comments

• giorgio_doussisgiorgio_doussis Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    2 possibilities for me:
    1. Your neighbours know your password (you have maybe give it to them when they are comming to your home)
    2. One of your neighbour have hacking and find your password...
    If you want to block him, you have to log in your router/modem and block the MAC adress (is write in FIng) of this Netgear / Orbi Satellite (RBS50), or you allow only the MAC adresses of your network to be connected on your network ...
    Sincerly Your,

Doussis Giorgios

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭

You can also set Fing to automatically block new devices. It can be a pain sometimes but at least you’ll have some peace of mind.

• max_italiamax_italia Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    2 possibilities for me:
    1. Your neighbours know your password (you have maybe give it to them when they are comming to your home)
    2. One of your neighbour have hacking and find your password...
    If you want to block him, you have to log in your router/modem and block the MAC adress (is write in FIng) of this Netgear / Orbi Satellite (RBS50), or you allow only the MAC adresses of your network to be connected on your network ...
    Sincerly Your,

Doussis Giorgios

Many thanks Giorgio,
    I suppose that my neighbours don't have any password given by me or hacked because there weren't others unknown devices in my network. The Orbi Satellite is a network extender, so he must pass to my dhcp server any request to obtain a network address and of course those requests will produce others unknown device; cause I have only Orby declared as unknown device there aren't any other devices attached to my network.
    The question remain "How did Orbi connect to my wi-fi? During the restart process, maybe an Orbi unit waiting to automatically connect to a wi-fi can do it without knowing the wi-fi password? " This is not a "Fing" question, this is related to investigate the possibility that during my router (a Technicolor modified by my provider)  restart process, something like WPS is activated  and the Orbi Satellite which is waiting to be connected to my neighbours Orbi base router (I suppose) find a WPS offer and the wi-fi password exchange take place.
    Anyway many thanks for your contribute.
  • max_italiamax_italia Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 18
    Lee_Bo said:

You can also set Fing to automatically block new devices. It can be a pain sometimes but at least you’ll have some peace of mind

Thanks  Lee_Bo, 
    I did it using the Fing facility. The question remain "How did Orbi connect to my wi-fi? During the restart process, maybe an Orbi unit waiting to automatically connect to a wi-fi can do it without knowing the wi-fi password? 
    Anyway thanks a lot for giving-me your time.