I get WLAN access rejected: incorrect security from MAC A8:54:B2:57:EF:1C, about every 10-15 seconds

tmorri7tmorri7 Member Posts: 13
10 Comments Photogenic
I found on Web that it is a Wistron Neweb Corp wireless device. If I disable WPA2 security on my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router 2.4 GHZ band, I don't get the message in the router log but nothing new connects to my network. Disabling security on 5 GHZ band has no effect so I am pretty certain the device is attempting to connect on 2.4 only. I don't see anything (on Fing device or elsewhere) except in the Router log but would like to eliminate whatever is knocking on router door every 10 seconds and the logging that occurs. I've powered off all of my in house DVR and other wireless devices I can find.  Any ideas on how I might find the device that is doing this? I'm thinking something that tries to connect this often might give someone a clue that I am missing as to the type of device that might do this.  I'm also not understanding why it is attempting to get into the network but I don't see it if I remove security. 

Best Answer

• tmorri7tmorri7 Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    Well, I found that our DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit  (DCAW1R0-01) was the culprit. Once I powered it off and confirmed no more security messages, I hit the WPS button with the thought I'd let it attach to my router. Before I got to my router to hit the WPS, the messages had stopped so I left it.  We don't use the wireless on this device since we have a second DTV DVR hooked to it via ethernet cable and all replay/downloads happen there.  Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Answers

• ChromeAceChromeAce Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic

It’s a washer or dryer with built-in WiFi. Mine are made by Samsung and are using the Wistron chipsets in them.

• tmorri7tmorri7 Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks for the suggestion. but I don't own one of these. I'll double-check my 2 Samsung TV's (but I think I powered them off and still got this...just haven't checked recently.)  My research shows Wistron Neweb has its wireless devices in lots of DVRs, cable boxes and IOT smart devices.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited May 17
    Since this shows as an answered question and it is not, I'm going to repost as "new"
    10 Comments Photogenic

I found on Web that it is a Wistron Neweb Corp wireless device. If I disable WPA2 security on my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router 2.4 GHZ band, I don't get the message in the router log but nothing new connects to my network. Disabling security on 5 GHZ band has no effect so I am pretty certain the device is attempting to connect on 2.4 only. I don't see anything (on Fing device or elsewhere) except in the Router log but would like to eliminate whatever is knocking on router door every 10 seconds and the logging that occurs. I've powered off all of my in house DVR and other wireless devices I can find.  Any ideas on how I might find the device that is doing this? I'm thinking something that tries to connect this often might give someone a clue that I am missing as to the type of device that might do this.  I'm also not understanding why it is attempting to get into the network but I don't see it if I remove security.  (Reposted because the first question appears as "answered" and it is not. I thought I replied to the suggestion that it was Samsung washer/dryer with a "no" but I must have slipped up and said "yes"!)

First Comment Photogenic

Powering them off is likely not enough, you would have to unplug them to prevent them from using wifi.

tmorri7
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited May 17

By the way, an answered question means someone answered it; it doesn’t mean someone solved your problem. NEVER repost the same question in a forum.

Robin
    10 Comments Photogenic
    ChromeAce said:

By the way, an answered question means someone answered it; it doesn’t mean someone solved your problem. NEVER repost the same question in a forum.

An answered question no longer shows in "unanswered questions" on the forum,  as in this case so I'm thinking no one new will ever see it unless they have the exact same issue. When I scroll over the "Answered" status of the original question,  it tells me I need to respond "Yes" or "No" to the "Is it solved question...but no such choice is given to your original response. Thanks for your assistance and advice. (I won't "repost the same question"...I flagged it as reposted since I know this is NOT a normally good way to operate.)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I responded that this did not answer the question (since I was asked by the "process" here.) This is a side issue and advice on how to use the forum, not an answer to the original question.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,719
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @tmorri7
    There are some restrictions with the platform but as per now, Answered post means someone has commented on the post but there is not Accepted solution to the post. To address your original post, If you can only see the device connection on router, then I believe the best thing will be to get in touch with ISP and they can provide sufficient logs for you to identify the device with the help of MAC address if it is your own device or different.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,114
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tmorri7 thanks for asking your question.
    Honestly if this was happening on my network and I am pretty confident that I can identify every wireless connection and this is still a conundrum, I'd block the device and wait to see if someone 'yells' about it not having access to the internet.
    I'm OK with the idea and concept of a Smart Home, but why would anyone place a wireless device in a washer/dryer?  If it is that device, somewhere on that machine should be a MAC address for it, check that just to be sure. 
    I done a little digging of my own, and found another thread talking about the same issue that you're experiencing:
    "The OUIs of both of those MAC addresses shows up in the IEEE OUI database as being registered to "Wistron Neweb Corp.", a Taiwanese manufacturer of Ethernet cards, set-top box/smart TV chipsets, and Internet-of-things/home security products, among other things. Google for their name and browse their site(s) and maybe you'll see something that helps you realize which device this is.

Note that those two MAC addresses might be from the same device, for example if it managed to get connected to your network via both Ethernet and Wi-Fi, or via Ethernet and HomePlug or G.Hn, or whatever.

Also note that some other company may be using a Wistron Neweb chipset or reference design in their product. So for example, it might still be your cable TV set-top box even if that box is from some other company."

So this sounds like it could be a set-top box, something that may be on your network for streaming television?

Also:

"Wistron is one of the world's largest manufacturer of solutions for IT and telecommunication sector. They cover Far East, European and American markets. Wistron NeWeb is a member of Wistron group and specialize in designing and manufacturing of advanced wireless communication devices. Thanks to the strong research department, NeWeb is a leader in introducing innovative wireless solutions including WLAN, PAN, wireless phones and satellite communication.

Wistron offer includes:

• access points
    • routers
    • wireless phones
    • network cards
    • USB 2.0 adapters
    • Bluetooth devices

Atel Electronics is a distributor of Wistron NeWeb products

Manufacturer's website: http://www.wneweb.com

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    tmorri7
    10 Comments Photogenic
    What is perplexing to me is the device never attaches to my network. It tries to get past WPA security and gets rejected every 10-15 seconds and when I remove security nothing attaches. I guess the only way to identify it is once it attaches and if it ever did I could block and see the impact. 
    kltaylor
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Since it never attaches even with security removed, I'll just have to tolerate the entries to router log every 10 seconds. Thanks for your input.
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,114
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to help!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yeah I would block those MAC addresses and then see if anyone starts yelling inside a white van parked down the street.
    kltaylor
    First Comment Photogenic
    I would never give up on something like this. You deserve to know the identity of anything knocking at the door of your network. I spent days doing this once and it ended up being a washer and dryer. (You can get a Samsung app that tells you progress of the cycles on your phone.) Another time it turned out to be different radios inside various WiFi access points. The access points were looking for meshing opportunities with other access points by seeing if they connect to a stronger signal. So you may want to look at the listed MAC addresses labeled on the outside of all your devices and be aware that things like toothbrushes, scales, and thermometers now connect to networks even if you don’t set them up, they may still probe whatever is in range just to check whether or not someone is trying to configure the device.
    kltaylor