VPN Triggers notifications

JGSING
JGSING Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
Whenever I start my VPN (Private Internet Access) it triggers a notification asking to "acknowledge new network".  After that it asks to to provide a "context", what ever that is.
When I switch back to my normal internet connection (Frontier Cable) it does the same thing again.
Why is this happening, and how does it benefit me?
It is rather irritating, can I stop it?
Thanks,
John

Answers

• JGSING
    Also, whenever I open the app, it is always prompting me with:
    Your network is working, but something needs attention. Health check code: W402.  You must provide a context for current network to activate advanced checks
    Why is this happening.  Nothing has changed.
  • ktklein72
    ktklein72 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited May 18, 2020 #3
    JGSING said:
    Also, whenever I open the app, it is always prompting me with:
    Your network is working, but something needs attention. Health check code: W402.  You must provide a context for current network to activate advanced checks
    Why is this happening.  Nothing has changed.
    I just installed the desktop app 1.4.0 for the first time the other day and I too am getting the above message - along with massive slowness within the app.  I am alos getting the Fing Service not found message after it pauses for several minutes.
  • JGSING
    Also, every time I start my VPN, I get the request, "Please supply a context for the new network".
    1) What is a context?
    2) Why doesn't it remember.
    3) Why is it bothering me with this?
    Thanks,
    John
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JGSING
    VPN hides the real identity of the network which makes it impossible for Fing to know the real network. If you have assigned a static MAC address to VPN then maybe Fing App can identify it but as of now, I believe with VPN working, these alerts might come every time.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JGSING
    Well, that is not so good.  Is there a way to control which alerts get displayed?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JGSING
    To isolate the issue and investigate this further to make it work, I would need few things:
    1. What is 'Home' healthcheck saying? if you can share the report, it would be very helpful. 

2. Share the output of commands: 'ipconfig' and 'route print' from command line 

3. Share the agent log: To access the agent log files: 

•  

• Click on the Fing Desktop version in the bottom-left hand side of the screen 

• This will display two folders to open. We will need specific files from each of these folders. 

• Firstly, click on 'Open App Log Folder' 

• When the folder opens, we will now need to compress and share the log.log file (titled 'log' - all lowercase). To compress and share: right click on the file; choose 'Send to' & then choose 'Compressed zip folder'. 

• Back in Fing Desktop, now click on the 2nd folder 'Open Service Log Folder' 

• Compress the fing-agent.log file also (without any number after 'agent' ), following the same process as previous.  

• Please attach both compressed files and message it to me privately.

Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JGSING
    Sending everything.  Looks like I cannot add more than two files to a message.  It will take multiple messages.
    I hope that all of this trouble results in a valid solution.
  • JGSING
    Can you give me an email address.  I cannot seem to add the zipped or unzipped version of log.log or fing-agent.log to one of your "messages".  I assume you have my email address.
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JGSING, we have just e-mailed you. Please respond with the relevant attachments and we can look into it further. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)