anyway to get fing to turn on a pc (WOL) on a google wifi network?

bechaubechau Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited May 2020 in Fingbox
While on fing app, I can WOL my pc successfully.
However, on IFTTT, I can't.

On IFTTT, google wifi service can detect when I connect to my home network and trigger a fing action service. However fing doesn't have WOL and device selections, only actions available are:
1. Turn on internet access
2. Pause internet access
3. Play LED effect

Anyone can trigger and WOL your PC once you connect to your network?  
Tagged:
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bechau welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    I know that Fingbox does work well with IFTTT, however for this response I yield over to @Robin on this, as he will have the specifics on the API integration for IFTTT and how it can (if possible) any WOL commands being sent from Google Home.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @kltaylor for the tag. 
    To update: Fingbox support to IFTTT is currently on hold; we are discussing the integration with several partners in the Smart Home integration arena and we intend to resume it along with new functionalities. Pre-existing IFTTT integrations are preserved, but at this time we cannot activate new connections and applets.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the information Robin, @bechau you have your answer, although it's not the one that we were looking for but at least for now, it's 'on hold'.
  • bechaubechau Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much @kltaylor and @Robin for the info. 

FYI, I'm a newbie on Smart Home Integration and ended up having several systems in my house according to each's pro/con.  I discovered IFTTT by accident as it allows me to integrate all systems under one platform.  While it makes sense to focus on things that has highest market potential, IFTTT might provide Fing a natural hedge against certain system's pro/con (and its resulting marketing potential) and indirectly gain new users with its unique network monitoring features (in my opinion, best in class). 

Thanks again guys.    
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    IFTTT is quite useful, I used to use it a lot at a previous job where it would check an incoming email to see if there was an attachment, and if there was would extract that attachment and place it in my Google Drive.  Once that happened the attachment would be removed from the email simply to save space because... Outlook PST file size bloat ...
  • bechaubechau Member Posts: 3
    @kltaylor you are absolutely right!  even as a newbie i can understand the hidden potential of IFTTT.  Fing on the the other hand, is the missing "last mile" for smart home system that many big companies are wooing consumers to go all-in on their closed system.  

As a consumer, IFTTT+FING is definitely a more practical approach as I can don't have to go all-in and pick and choose each devices on its own merit with a middle ware that can talk to/trigger all devices.   
    kltaylor