Trying to determine which generic device is which

wrjoneswrjones Member Posts: 2
First Comment
I set the Alert me when state changes for a generic device.  When I leave that screen and then return the alert switch is off again.   How is it supposed to work?

Answers

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Likes Member of the Month 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    You can change alerts status on both the App & the website (you’ll need to login or setup an account). In theory both should work but, if you haven’t already tried both give the other option a try and feedback here.
  • wrjoneswrjones Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Ok, I set a device to alert on the website.  Will let you know.  The event that started this panic --  I was watching YouTube on tv when screen popped up with a code number used to connect to apple tv via iphone for screen mirroring.  I was not using iphone or Apple TV,  I unplugged AppleTV then started looking at fing.  My cox internet speed was way down and still is.  I saw a generic device which fing said was first seen at the time the screen showed the apple code.    Now I see another generic device per the app which says it was first seen at 9:15 PM last night.  But on the website the same ip number is a known device and fing says it is online and was first seen Aug 3 2018 and last seen Feb 21 2020.  This is so confusing and not very useful to see what is going on.  I fear their is some intrusive software that is in my network.
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Likes Member of the Month 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @wrjones there may be a security issue but can you checkout MAC addresses of both records? If they are the same then it’s more likely some “quirk” if not then you certainly want to get that blocking working. Maybe you could try blocking a known device, then try to access the web to check if it’s working &, of course, unblock once you know the result.