why is my Android TV box listing as IP Camera?

jay1867jay1867 Member Posts: 1
edited May 14 in Devices & Security

Hi, recently found out about this app, which is great!

So I been looking at connected devices on my wifi and see that my Android TV box is listing as an IP Camera, why is this?

Can someone provide me with some feedback?

Thanks

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,188
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jay1867 welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    Sometimes the information that Fing stores to help identify devices can display something other than what it actually is.  What I would do, is check the MAC address in the Fing app and ensure that it is indeed, your smart TV.  Once that happens you can change the information for this device which will help other consumers receive a more successful result when identifying things.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 820
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Great advise @kltaylor. To build on this :smile:
    The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g. Limited information being offered by specific devices. We are constantly improving device recogntion based on both app recognition and user feedback. As @Kltaylor mentions, if you are 100% sure that it is indeed your TV and not a camera, you can change the device info & icon. This will assist with better accuracy for this device moving forward. We ahve recently launched a new product Fing Desktop. This has improved recognition abilities and on the latest version we have introduced a new feature whereby you can choose the device (from a list of devices) if you are satisfied that the initial recogntion detail is not accurate. To download Fing Desktop, click on the following:

Download Links:   https://get.fing.com  (for Windows & MAC)

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Robin
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 144
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    kltaylor said, this happens to me all the time.  I just go back in and change the device to whatever it really is.  No big deal for me.