Does Fing Desktop use the Fingbox?

apeters
apeters Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
This seems like an obvious question, but I don't see any answers. Does the desktop program use the Fingbox to do its work or is it entirely separate?

Answers

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @apeters. No, Fing Desktop is a completely separate product. Fing Desktop could be considered a more powered version of the app, with such benefits such as:
    • ‘Health Check Report’ feature, giving users a snapshot view of the ‘health’ of their network. It gives a summary of any issues/alerts that may need attention. This feature is only available on the Fing Desktop.
    • More detailed device recognition than the mobile app, as Fing Desktop can read MAC addresses it will give more detailed device information.
    • ISP connection information integration
    For more info, see FIng Desktop FAQ's: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fing-desktop-faqs/
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• apeters
    apeters Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

So then the only way to take advantage of the box is to use a smartphone?

That seems ... like you’re missing an opportunity. I bought the hardware (back in the Kickstarter) because I wanted a little robot on my network doing the monitoring and such, and that’s what it does.

Give us desktop (web browser!) access to the box, please. I really don’t need a program on my computer if the box does what I need. Especially if that computer is a laptop and it probes my employer’s network.

please point me to detailed uninstallation instructions for the Mac Fing program — including how to remove the background daemons you install. Thanks.

vectormax
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @apeters
    To uninstall Fing Desktop from MAC, you just need to put the Fing Dekstop from Applications Folder to Trash and all components will be uninstalled.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • vectormax
    vectormax Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Desktop access to the Fingbox would definitely be much appreciated.  I’ve tried installing the app on an iPad, but since it’s a phone app, it doesn’t scale properly. The ability to read larger fonts on a much larger screen would be a plus!