Identify devices on network

DrAshishDrAshish Member Posts: 3
First Comment
When I do a network scan on my home network, It lists several dozeon devices.  Whats the best wat to indeitify which is which (eg: my iphone, my desktop, my WAP, my wife's laptop, Lutron smart switch etc).  And when I tried to rename one on the phone version of fing, it worked temporarily.  When I closed the app and redid the scan the custom name I gave was replaced by the default names again. 

Answers

• MayaMaya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 40
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    If you're using Fing on iPhone or iOS, unfortunately it cannot keep unique identifications because apple is hiding mac address (which is the unique address of each device in your network).
    The best way would be to download Fing Desktop on your laptop or PC and then it'll find all your devices in the network and also recognise most of them by itself. For the ones that are still not identified, you can enter name and also provide the brand and model so you can keep everything at hand. This catalog of your network stays stored and will also be accessible from web app at https://app.fing.com

RobinDrAshish
  • DrAshishDrAshish Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    ok thank you.  
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 820
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Firstly, regarding the device names not saving. This generally occurs when all of the permissions for the mobile app are not granted. In order to retain all the networks and device customizations saved, please make sure you are signed in to Fing App and that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes (with new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).

Regarding recognition:
    The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g. Limited information being offered by specific devices. We are constantly improving device recogntion based on both app recognition and user feedback. If you are 100% sure that it is indeed your TV and not a camera, you can change the device info & icon. This will assist with better accuracy for this device moving forward.
    As mentioned by @Maya, Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

(Also building on @Maya 's advise) we have recently launched a new product Fing Desktop. This has improved recognition abilities and on the latest version we have introduced a new feature whereby you can choose the device (from a list of devices) if you are satisfied that the initial recogntion detail is not accurate. To download Fing Desktop, click on the following:

Download Links:   https://get.fing.com  (for Windows & MAC)

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Maya