Digital fence devices ssid bssid channel

lolozaur
lolozaur Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment
Hello, I'm trying to understand some information presented in the Digital Fence feature.
Some devices show SSID, BSSID and Channel information for AP that are not on my network. I would like to understand what does this information represent. Is it the device that is WiFi Scanning in order to connect to it's preferred AP and broadcasting the preferred AP information?
Also, I'm curious to understand why some devices have this  WiFi information, while others do not have the SSID, BSSID and Channel information available.
Tagged:
kltaylor

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lolozaur thanks for asking your question.
    Your digital fence is almost literally what the name applies.  It will report what wireless devices are 'within the fence line'.  Think of it as a literal fence around your yard, and someone physically walked into your yard through the gate entrance.  It's information presented to allow you to make an informed decision if you should need to react to someone 'trespassing'.
    The information presented by various wireless vendor accommodations, some more than others. 
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • lolozaur
    lolozaur Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hello @kltaylor , thanks for taking the time to provide the information.
    I would really like to know if you have any more detailed information on what the values from Digital Fence devices SSID, BSSID and Channel information represent.
    Thanks a lot.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,869
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!