Hidden network

In my wifi network list there is a hidden network that I did not make. I do not think it is from anyone else like a neighbor or such because it is still there if I go away from my home and I have the option to make it not connect automatically though as soon as I do uncheck the box and I recheck for networks the box is checked again. Is there anyway to find out what this network is? Since it is hidden it does not show under know networks. The is on my laptop with Windows 10 pro x64 my isp is hughesnet. I just do not like having an unknown network that is set to automatically connect.

kltaylor

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,387
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Gandalf1962
    Thanks for your post. I believe our moderator @kltaylor can best address your query. Any advice @kltaylor

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,191
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my wifi network list there is a hidden network that I did not make. I do not think it is from anyone else like a neighbor or such because it is still there if I go away from my home and I have the option to make it not connect automatically though as soon as I do uncheck the box and I recheck for networks the box is checked again. Is there anyway to find out what this network is? Since it is hidden it does not show under know networks. The is on my laptop with Windows 10 pro x64 my isp is hughesnet. I just do not like having an unknown network that is set to automatically connect.

Thanks @Robin.
    It sounds like you're viewing this one your mobile device and is presented as an option for you to connect to whenever you're in-range.  There is a way to remove any unwanted or unneeded networks in your list of connections depending on the device that you operation.  I believe that Android has the option to simply 'Forget' a connection so that it's no longer present any longer, but it's a bit more detailed of a process for an iOS device.
    Looking up the information shows that there isn't a convenient way to remove a network, but more of a global (or nuclear) approach.  Here is what I was able to find:

"While you cannot remove individual Wi-Fi networks from an iOS device, there is a nuclear option. If you tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, the iOS device deletes all your Wi-Fi networks and passwords, along with other network settings."

Not really an ideal method, but you can do it if you want to ensure that the networks that are listed and will connect to are indeed familiar to you.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    RobinCiaran
  • Gandalf776Gandalf776 Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    kltaylor said:

Thanks @Robin.
    It sounds like you're viewing this one your mobile device and is presented as an option for you to connect to whenever you're in-range.  There is a way to remove any unwanted or unneeded networks in your list of connections depending on the device that you operation.  I believe that Android has the option to simply 'Forget' a connection so that it's no longer present any longer, but it's a bit more detailed of a process for an iOS device.
    Looking up the information shows that there isn't a convenient way to remove a network, but more of a global (or nuclear) approach.  Here is what I was able to find:

"While you cannot remove individual Wi-Fi networks from an iOS device, there is a nuclear option. If you tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, the iOS device deletes all your Wi-Fi networks and passwords, along with other network settings."

Not really an ideal method, but you can do it if you want to ensure that the networks that are listed and will connect to are indeed familiar to you.

ok well not sure what you read but i did say that this is on my laptop not my mobile device in fact my mobile does not show the hidden network at all. also now i am not sure on a mobile device but i do know for a fact that on a windows laptop if the network is hidden it does not show up in manage networks so  it is not possible to tell the system to forget it as i do after staying in a hotel. thanks anyway
    5263P3 said:
    This is maybe not relevant, but something I learned recently.   I'm wondering if it applies to your situation or your router.   I got a new router and it had 4 bands (2 2.4ghz and 2 5 ghz.  Two regular channels, and 2 "guest" channels.    I originally chose to put everything on the Guest 2.4ghz, and leave everything else hidden or down.  Over time, I realized I didn't want that "non broadcasting" 2.4ghz (which was a main channel) online, so I changed everything; put all my devices on the main 2.4ghz channel, and completely shut down the 2 guest channels entirely, as well as the 5ghz band radio.  Now  I no longer have a "hidden" network associated with my router's MAC address, and only 1 channel out of the 4 is online.  I take the wifi down at night, and then nothing shows up at all in terms of networks associated with me.    I'm sure it's overkill on my part, but it gives me a bit of peace of mind.  
    The point I'm making is:  maybe you have a 'non-broadcasting' channel you  might not be really aware of, but your phone keeps picking up on.   I had this too, and thought it was my neighbor's network, but it wasn't  (it took me weeks to realize the "hidden network" I was seeing was BOTH myself, AND my next door neighbor, and the only way I realized this was to see the signal strength on the Netspot app).  
    now you might be on to something. my router is like your with 4 channels 2 guests and two regular. now i have always had the guests ones disabled in both 2.4 and 5. now my main laptop is not capable of using the 5 ghz channel. but my spare has a usb network adapter that is dual band. when i have someone over that needs to use it i hook it up to the 5 ghz so as to not bog down the 2.4 ghz that i am using. though when i do have that one set up on the 5 ghz it still shows the hidden network on both laptops also. so i am thinking you might be onto something though since my main laptop can not use the 5 ghz band i do not think that is whai it is. as i said i live out in the country and my closest neighbor is more than 300 yards away through dense trees. every once in awhile i will see his network but it is not an hidden he has his name on it and when it does show so does the hidden. what gets me is that i can set my neighbors to either connect automatically or not and if i check later it is still set wherever i set it. this hidden one is default checked to connect automatically and i can not change that. also i did try to use the network password for the 5 ghz on the hidden one and it did not accept it. which is another reason i do not think it is that channel and the two guest networks that are disabled are open with no password and it will not work that way either. so this is really baffled me. also my isp hughesnet can see all my devices that are running through my router and they claim that they do not see the hidden network. it also does not show up with a ip scanner.  well while you did not find the problem you have given me some insight to it. one last thought there is a usb port on my router for like hooking up an external hard drive but if that was what it is without a password i would not be able to connect to it. i have never used it. guess i ought to give that a try. thanks again for your input. if you come up with any more ideas i would be glad to hear them.
    i hear you thanks again for your input
    Ciaran